Seat height adjuster problems!

I have a Mk2 vRS which I've currently got a problem with. I'm 6'2" and my partner is around 6" shorter, so whilst I drive it I like the seat to be on its lowest setting, but she obviously prefers much higher. The problem is that now the adjuster only works to take the seat higher, and refuses to lower! Now it's on the highest setting, and whilst its lovely to be able to see over hedges etc, I could do with fixing the aduster so I can get back to being comfortable. Has anyone had a similar experience, and could anyone point me in the right direction..... Thanks all.

Hi all, I haven't had any replies to my query. Is it because I've done something wrong in posting (incorrect etiquette??) or is it just too boring!! If boring, won't be offended, it hardly blows my socks off either....

Thanks

• Like 1

Fear not, I've seen far more boring questions than that ;)

I'm thinking it's because nobody has a solution, myself included - never seen an issue with the ratchet system.

I have seen them stick before though, occassionally - but a few quick movements of the lever in the downward direction should get the seat moving again.

What mileage are you on? To check the seat over properly, you're going to have to remove it - only 4x spline bolts though so relatively easy. Could well be a case of greasing the mechanism.

Hope that's at least of some help; and at least you got one reply.... ;)

• Like 1

We've had these issues before on the job cars (I'm similar height to you, the previous driver was considerably shorter) and I couldn't fit in properly. From memory it was a warranty job and I think it was a new seat base however if yours is out of warranty I can see no reason why it can't be stripped down until whatever offending part is found. Just wait until the back rest adjuster fails as well ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies guys, my paranoia has now eased! Car has done 75k, and well out of warranty, so it looks like a spot of DIY might be the order of the day. Hopefully it will be a case of greasing the mechanism.......Thanks again!

Mike, many thanks for your input. I took the seat out yesterday and now have the cleanest ratchet mechanism anyone has ever seen! The problem is still there, though I have managed to drop the seat a little. It looks like the wire that loops round has become loose and/or tangled, but I couldn't get underneath to look properly, and my DIY skills are somewhat limited, so I admitted defeat and refitted the seat. It's in the garage on Tuesday for a cam belt, so might ask them to take a look if they get chance. If it needs a new mechanism, then I will have to get one ordered and hopefully normal service can be restored......

Thanks again

J