which oil?

Seanl

Sorry guys another oil thread!

8v MPI - Ive just phoned Skoda for a price, and they've told me £38 for 4 litres of 5w-40 pd! I was under the impression I needed 10w-40, which incidently I can get 5l for £18 from VW! Bearing in mind I need just short of 5l for the change, and the car has only done 44k, which would be best, or should I just get the synta silver anyway? Cheers all!

I went to VW and got the 10w-40. Will probably quieten down the engine a touch too. Got filter and sump plug washer from Skoda, filter was £7.20 incl VAT, & copper washer was 50p.

You need VW502.00 spec oil as per the handbook, the viscosity is not the relevant figure as it doesn't normally get cold enough to warrant a 5w oil. and the mpi has much more forgiving oil requirements than more modern engines. last time round I used Carlube RRR 5w30 fully synth (basically free and certified to the correct standard) and it's now running Castrol Edge 10w40 semi synth. As to cost when it was due I didn't fancy doing it in the snow so I paid my local National Tyres £35 to have it changed, I could have done it myself for about half that.