How to remove the trim around the load area?

Hi all,

Just joined so be gentle.

I just picked a felicia fun up off ebay and there is a little work needed to make it respectable. I'd like to remove and spray the tailgate spoiler thingy and the matching side trim. Im guessing the inner panel of the tailgate will give access to the retainers for the rear on but how do the side ones come off?

Same goes for the rear of the Cab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, welcome to Brisokda and congratulations on your Fun purchase :)

The spoiler is actually bolted to the bottom of the tailgate, so is almost easy to remove. However, you'll need to open the tailgate up to disconnect the brake light. (Is just the screws you can see on the inner tailgate panel.) With the panel removed you'll also two bars that go from the top to bottom, hence the bolts on the bottom of the tailgate.

The side trims are affectionately known as "hockey sticks" and require a lot of effort to remove.

The roll-over cover behind the cab is next to impossible to remove easily.

no the bolts that hold the tailgate top trim/spoiler on are acessed by removing the skid plate from the inside of the tailgate, you need a 13mm socket on an extension to get them, beware though if they are rusty they may just snap off when you try to undo them... you just need a philips screwdriver to remove the skid plate

the hockey sticks are just bonded on with tigerseal at the factory (or at least something very similar) they are a right royal pain in the hoop to get off too, but they arent bolted on

Thanks for the advice.

I have noticed on a general google the advice is to work from the back and work to the front to remove the hockey sticks.

Solvents, petrol etc to remove the tiger stuff.

I'll give it a go.

no the bolts that hold the tailgate top trim/spoiler on are acessed by removing the skid plate from the inside of the tailgate, you need a 13mm socket on an extension to get them, beware though if they are rusty they may just snap off when you try to undo them... you just need a philips screwdriver to remove the skid plate

True for the normal pickup tailgate top, but there are also two metal bars that run to the bottom and bolted through the bottom. The brake-light wire enters one of these bars and runs internally to the brake-lights in the spoiler. (something the normal top doesn't have.)

Looks like this........

images_zps9a49f11c.jpg

Ahh, a pictures worth a thousand words, superb.

Ok, so a combination of internal and 2 external bolts to remove it.

The hocky sticks just need careful leverage.

Just the back bit behind the cab i need info on now. I see a couple of plastic fastners on the inner and some kind of plastic sitting in the groove. Is there anything inside the cab?

Oh just thought of something else that would be nice. Some kind of load area cover. What are my options and costs anybody know?

Ooh that's interesting, ^^ the one that I took off at the scrapyard was bolted on the same as the normal pickup type through the inside of the tailgate.

Can you remember what year that was from? Both my X and V have/had the bars in.

There seems to have been some early Fun's and then a revision. Most notable is the leather interior. I thought the revision was just the interior though. Given the low volume and the way they were built, it wouldn't have made any other revisions every few made.

Just the back bit behind the cab i need info on now. I see a couple of plastic fastners on the inner and some kind of plastic sitting in the groove. Is there anything inside the cab?

Give Ricko a nudge, I know he managed to get one off.

Oh just thought of something else that would be nice. Some kind of load area cover. What are my options and costs anybody know?

"Proper" Fun covers are rare and not cheap, but do appear on eBay from time to time. I think Tom's one for his normal tuck was a custom job, the people that did that may be able to help.

You can get passenger covers too, but they are rare.

The alternative would be a Truckman top. They're hard covers, cover the passeners (helpful in winter) and offer more security. There is also a "soft" Truckman.......

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/253553-fun-truckman-tops/page__hl__+fun#entry2976012

(Makes note to do pictures of the Softie.)

Hi (triple) fun, nice to have a new owner on the site. Don't forget to add your details to the Fun register.

I'm aware jackmx131 was recently sourcing a tonneau cover & it would be worth contacting him to check. The supplier reference he had was Leon Moss but not sure if that proved successful? My old tonneau has been off the van for some time now as the zip fasteners are knackered. I've got an unused passenger cover in the garage. As Rainbow says and depending on your budget it may well be worth considering a truckman top option & they do fairly regularly appear on ebay but you'll need to set aside a good few hundred quid. :)

Just been peeling the hocky stick up to see how difficult it was going to be, i see there is a vertical lip that the hocky stick clips down over. As it tucks under the rear of the cab do i assume that when nearing the cab it will slide back from under the cab?

The tonneau cover I got for my pickup came from a company called monsoon 4x4 in east sussex, but that was for a normal pickup, it might be worth contacting them to see if they can modify one to suit the fun truck, it was only about £100 including delivery if I recall.

Im trying to keep the costs as low as possible as Im not sure how things are going to pan out. Is your cover repairable?

Having been stored outside for sometime imo no. Good luck with your search & as Tom says worth trying monsoon ;)

Im trying to keep the costs as low as possible as Im not sure how things are going to pan out. Is your cover repairable?

Who are you asking? :S

At the moment just monsoon. I got one reply which was that they didn't do them. I asked if the caddy one could be modified. They replied maybe but said i would need to be local. Obviously Im not else I would of gone. It's a shame as if the managed one it could be a template for others. I have sent 2 further emails offering measurements and pictures but had no replies as yet.

My father in law is making one for mine. He is a whizz at sewing stuff. He knocked up our prototype landrover bed in 10 minutes flat. Would have taken me all day and cost me most of my fingers had i used the flippin thing.

Is it an actual tonnea (however you spell it!) cover you want or the passenger bit to be waterproof (ish) when its open?