Tyre types

timdunn

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether touring 195/65R15 tyres will be ok on my Octavia Estate, which has a recommended tyre type of 205/60 R15. I actually have winter 195/65R15 91T tyres on at present and they've been fine, but am wondering if it is ok to use the same size etc for touring/summer tyres, or whether I should pay more and get the 205/60's?

Many thanks!

Tim

It's listed on the label inside the filler cap cover, so yes. It's also listed in Skoda's recommended wheel & tyre combinations (.pdf). Ideally you'd have H or V rated, but so long as you keep below the maximum speed rating of whichever tyres you use then it's fine.

Edited by AnotherGareth

Inform your insurance company, but 195/65R15 was OEM on pre-facelift SLX TDI110. That said, a TDI110 is cabpable of ~120mph, and a T-rated tyre isn't supposed to be used on a car capable of more than 118mph, so you may need H-rated tyres.

Thanks both for your help! Looks like I'll be getting the 195's which are considerablly cheaper and they're H rated, so all good :rofl:

Yes, checked the car's top speed and it's 119mph, so 1mph over the current tyre's limit. Never get anywhere near that but insurance issue is sonething to consider - could this really invalidate my insurance?

Tim

"could this really invalidate my insurance?" - The way the thieving g!ts act these days, quite possibly. As I say though, the size you're fitting is OEM, so there is no excuse for a premium variation.

I'd need to check but I'm fairly certain the recommended tyre/wheel combinations on a 1U Octavia include 195/65 on 6Jx15 and 205/60 on 6.5Jx15, being optimum for each. If you are swapping tyres on existing wheels, chances are you have 6.5Jx15 but even so that's not a problem as 195/65 fits up to 7Jx15.

Premium variation should only be an issue if you are using non-oem wheels - I wouldn't even bother informing the insurers if you are just changing tyres on standard wheels.