Alternator Pulley

I have bought the Sealey SX400 tool kit for alternator pulley removal to replace preventatively my ageing pulley (I was noisy once this winter). Does the radiator need to go into service position on the V6 tdi for this job? Any advice is appreciated, specific to the V6. Thanks

Could it not have been the (salted) belt making the slipping noise? Easy to get salt into aux belts and it can make belts slip a bit more.

But if you want to do it, yes, all alternator jobs require front in service position, at least if you do them as per factory service info.

I don't think it was salt... this was a lot more noisy, more clapping than slipping belt really, for around 1/2 mile... perhaps it isn't even the pulley. But given the car has done 111k now and I can find no records in the service book of this even having been done, I suspect this item as it's renowned to fail at 80-100k.

I have taken my alternator off in the past and you don't need to do anything with the front of the car.

What you do need to to do is cut one of the alternator mounting bolts in half and fit a replacement the other way around.

Hope that helps.

Interesting - so just prop the tensioner to lose the belt tension, belt comes off, then get down there with some sort of dremel to cut bolt off, drop the alternator, re-fit, that's it? Access from below or above?

OK, no worries for the duff info mate, just wondered how you could get to the alternator on the V6, it's so low down there. I'll just go into service position and see how it goes. That Sealey tool kit is ace, just used it two days ago on brother's Ibiza 1.9, 30 minute job on those cars, really easy when the alternator is up there in your face and the engine is mounted east west.