Timing belt changed changed !

Just my belt replaced today as it was extremly overdue and all i can say is wow .. It's made such a difference the car starts up and fees sit tighter and the engine feels alot quieter ..

I was in my original belt and pump @110k and still going strong altough once removed the water pump was on its last legs it was making a grinding noise had that failed I would be in some bother.

So I thought I would give you some prices I went to TPS to get all the parts and they come to £106.64 inc water pump there was a due charge for the water pump as they wanted the old one back so not sure but any how that's what it cost.

I asked the fella about a metal water pump as the oem one was plastic and he told me he has heard stories of them failing and damaging the cylinder head so vw won't make metal ones at all.

Am just curios to know why this belt would make such a difference??

If the rollers and tensioners have done 110,000 miles then they'd have been chattering a little.

The new ones will likely be much quieter.

Not sure on the performance, may be the timing was very slightly out as the belt had stretched a little?

Why the hell would they want the old water pump back. There's no point and trying to recon them as the alloy has had it by the time the pump is changed. Power steering pumps yes, but water pumps, and for all they cost.

Why the hell would they want the old water pump back. There's no point and trying to recon them as the alloy has had it by the time the pump is changed. Power steering pumps yes, but water pumps, and for all they cost.

I asked them that's self as I thought they refurbed them but he said no they weigh them in I was like wtf!

If you get a genuine pump from vw its highly likely itll be a remanufactured item.