Fabia II 1.9 PD TDI 105BHP, 57reg have a DPF?

BYF

Anyone know if this car has a DPF on it?

I'm thinking of buying one locally that has only done 40k for motorway commuting.

Also thinking of a remap, so if anyone knows of any good places in the Kent area then please post.

Cheers

Hi BYF,

I'm quite sure the proposed car does not have a DPF. But to be absolutely certain just check the service manual for the spec of your car. There is a page that has all the codes relevant to your car's spec. It shows those spec codes as rows and columns of letters and digits. Look for a a code QF7. This should be shown, if it has that code, on or towards the bottom line of codes. QF7 means it has a DPF fitted. If no code such as this is shown, then it does not have a DPF.

It's a nice choice of car by the way. The PD engine is supreme in my book and very punchy in standard form too. Can't help you with info on a remap, but there are loads of knowledgeable people on here that will be along very soon to advise you. Keep posting to let us all know how you get on. Good luck.

Thanks for the replies.

I went back in this morning to agree a deal however this was before I saw your replies but I will check the service manual when I go to pick up the car later this week for relevant codes, I had to act fast as there were other people after it while I was in there and I need a car for next week (obviously not the best situation when buying a car). The good thing is it comes with a 1year Skoda warranty, new MOT and service and I managed to get £500 off the asking price. I really wanted a Mk1 VRS but couldn't find one nearby with reasonable miles for sensible money, this one is the PD3 version though so not too bad kit wise and likely cheaper to insure.

Millers will cure the black smoke. Most pd's don't smoke if kept clean with a dose of millers every now and then. Mine never smoked when revved hard. Your's probably only smoked a bit due to being off the road and being shunted about a bit in the garage with all the stop start etc. Nice choice.

My 2008 1.9 TDi doesn't have a DPF and I'm pretty sure the only Fabia with a PD diesel engine that has one is the 1.4 Tdi in Greenline models. In fact, very few 1.9 PD VAG diesels had them fitted, in contrast to the 2.0 PD. It's a great engine with a stellar reliability record - only downside is the lack of refinement compared with the more recent common rail TDi engines. Remap it to around 130 hp and you'll have a pretty quick motor with tons of shove from low revs. I'm so pleased with mine that I've decided to hang on to it for many years. Thanks to Skoda's generous spec for level 3 models I just don't need anything more - good engine, good power and economy, very comfortable, cruise control, climate control, rear sensors, arm rest, and lots more.

Some good info posted here so thanks everyone.

Regarding the the 1.9PD 105, has there been any recalls on it for injectors? I can't find anything online about it but my brother works on Octavia/Superb Taxi's and he said that engine may have been affected and to check.

I think the remap is going to have to wait until the 1 years warranty is up, them I'll look into again and get some insurance quotes.

Anyway picking up the car on Friday and looking forward to it.

Have a read of this thread:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=93946

This and many other sources support that the 1.9 PD 105 with its Bosch injectors has an excellent record with regard to injector reliability compared with other PD variants. I'm not aware of any recalls for injectors on the PD 105, others might know better. I think you're getting a belter of an engine with the 1.9 TDi PD 105, but then I'm biased!

Edited by MarginWalker

I have a 2006 1.9TDI Elegance and its lovely, had it from new and recently had it remaped, i also have a 1.6CR Elegance (60 plate), and to be honest its just as nice. As said the newer engine does feel and sound a lot more refined but that is progress for you. Both our cars are in Cappachino Beige ! They look like twins on the drive,i know my 1.9TDI does not have a DPF and of course the CR newer one does. Not too bothered really, in time, with the older cars just getting uneconomical to repair we will all have to move to DPF cars, hopefully by then there will be remap's and DPF removal software to sort it all out.

Great choice of car though, as you can tell i am a sort of Fabia TDI groupie !

I picked up the car today and had a 55mile trip home 75% motorway, 25% a-roads and lanes and the trip computer averaged 56mpg. I'm not quite sure how accurate it is but the fuel needle didn't move much and I'm pleased with the mpg and that was with a few heavy right foot moments, I really like the 3rd gear it pulls hard up to a decent speed but is also comfortable at low speeds, 2nd seems rather short and lacks torque but 3rd makes up for it. I have to admit I would like a bit more pull in 5th, hopefully a remap can sort that once the warranty is up.

The mpg you experienced for that type of journey sounds very similar to what I'd expect from my 1.9 Tdi for a mixed motorway and A-road trip (I don't hang around and make good progress when road conditions and traffic allow, accelerating quite hard away from roundabouts on A-roads and cruising at around 75-80 mph on the motorway). The trip computer isn't highly accurate but serves as a good enough guide to consumption - I reckon your actual consumption will be around 3-5 mpg less than the figure displayed on your maxidot. 2000-2200 rpm is the 'sweet spot' for the 1.9 Tdi - here the engine is running very efficiently while being in the power band for turbo shove should you wish to increase speed quickly. The engine runs most happily if you avoid top gear until close to 50 mph. In a 30 mph zone I tend to stay in 3rd gear, only changing to 4th when I enter a 40 mph zone. I generally don't select 5th gear until above 45 mph - the engine never seems very happy in 5th at 40 mph. I get excellent economy with this driving style. You're right about 3rd gear - it really gives a kick in the pants if you take it up to 3500 rpm or more before shifting up.

Another experience worth sharing - although I don't use it all the time I definitely get better economy, smoother running and better acceleration using premium diesel.

Bit of downer today, I went to adjust the electric left door mirror for the first time and it doesn't respond with no motor noise, it's going to have to go back in now next weekend.

Byf, if the mirror hasn't had much use, and it may not have hardly ever been used, it just may have seized. I've seen this a lot on all makes of car. Before going back to the dealer, just get someone to operate the switch, whilst you very very carefully try to exert GENTLE pressure on the mirror in the direction that the switch is being moved. So get someone inside the car to move the switch to raise the mirror angle and you, outside the car, try to gentley move the mirror manually in that direction. Don't force it but it may suddenly kick into life and be ok.

Bit of downer today, I went to adjust the electric left door mirror for the first time and it doesn't respond with no motor noise, it's going to have to go back in now next weekend.

Sorry that you've found this problem - hope that's the only one! as EM says, it might have just seized from lack of use, so give his possible remedy a try. It might reassure you to know that my car, from the same vintage as yours (and the same level 3 spec) hasn't had any electrical faults so far. In fact it's been the most trouble-free model I've ever owned. Has the cam belt been changed in yours?

Yes, the cambelt was changed 1.5 years ago, I have the invoice for it.

Still no luck with adjusting the left mirror, I can't hear the motor working.

Another problem I've found is the electric heating element in the Right mirror doesn't clear it, but it does work on the non-adjustable left mirror. This car obviously wasn't checked over properly by the dealer before sale, it also has a slight damage to the bodywork which I spotted before buying but the sales team didn't, probably the reason I got some money off, still I expected better from a main dealer with there price premium and all.

They are also giving me the run around with arranging for the car to go in to be looked at, I'm actually thinking of exchanging the car for another as there is a 1000mile/30 day exchange scheme and I will clock up 1000miles way before 30days. Has anyone here had any experience with this? and does a fault have to have an attempted failed repair before an exchange is offered?

Edited by BYF