whining noise from my 20 tdi 140 bhp 2006 superb

hi all , i was wondering if anyone knows what is causing a whining noise in my gearbox , it only happens when i put it into 3rd up to 6th gear it goes away when im not accelerating . i had a new mass fly wheel fitted about 3 month ago but the garage said its nothing to do with that and its most likely a bearing ,in the gearbox , can anyone help out here

• 2 weeks later...

was wondering could it be the bearing maybe not seated right , and catching on the fly wheel ?

Hi Johnny. You are in the Superb II part of the forum, and might actually get more success over on the Superb I side.The transmission layout is completely different between the original Superb and the current one.

Is the noise only there when accelerating?. Anything untoward when you dip / release the clutch?. Any noise if you coast in neutral?

You say noise is present when accelerating; if you lift off the throttle does it disappear immediately?

I get a whine between 50 and 60 MPH, mech has said its a diff bearing, but would need to be stripped down to find out what one, he said its a simple job once the box is removed but to try and live with it until the clutch needs replacing.

Car was bought 59 plate, like that from a none skoda dealer, but had only covered 36K miles its now on 43K, but out of skoda warranty, since Nov 12, but I was wondering if skoda would sort it due to the low mileage??? would it be worth asking them

hi Skippy

It never costs to ask they can only say no ask your dealer first if they wont help.

speak to Skoda uk, from my dealings with Skoda uk they are normally quite helpfully.you should not be having problems with your g/box at that mileage

bill

hi, bill2 , ok the whining noise could be in first and second gear , its just that the noise of reving could drown it out but when in 3rd you can hear it better when i take it out of gear and free wheel there is no noise when i push the clutch peddle there is no noise, the noise is only there when the accelerator is used when i take my foot off the gas the noise stops immediately my thoughts are the release bearing is,nt seated properly or the gear box has a faulty bearing , the garage did drain the fluid from the gearbox and said there was no discolour in the fluid and no filings or small metal particles , it was clean .my thoughts are also with the new mass fly wheel installed on 21 december 4 month ago. any thoughts , cheers

hi, bill2 , ok the whining noise could be in first and second gear , its just that the noise of reving could drown it out but when in 3rd you can hear it better when i take it out of gear and free wheel there is no noise when i push the clutch peddle there is no noise, the noise is only there when the accelerator is used when i take my foot off the gas the noise stops immediately my thoughts are the release bearing is,nt seated properly or the gear box has a faulty bearing , the garage did drain the fluid from the gearbox and said there was no discolour in the fluid and no filings or small metal particles , it was clean .my thoughts are also with the new mass fly wheel installed on 21 december 4 month ago. any thoughts , cheers

If the problem was related to the release bearing, simply lifting off on the throttle would be unlikely to silence it. It doesnt sound like a dual mass flywheel (DMF) problem. This would be more likely to present as a metallic noise when jabbing or lifting off the accelerator while driving.

My own thoughts (without ever having come across this issue on a VAG product) is it is a gearbox bearing issue issue, either a gear bearing or a synchrohub