Changing CD changer to AUX

HI,

I've got the basic stream headunit and I'm looking to add an AUX. I've heard of a few different ways, but they either involved a lot of wiring and dismantling or the sound quality is poor.

The best recommendation that was made to me was:

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...3-/300376755833

I can't see exactly how this would work though, does it take off the CD changer, and is it easy to fit?

Any other options are welcomed too. I have tried FM transmitter but again it was poor quality.

Thanks,

Damo.

I fitted this about 6 months ago. You will have no ability to use the cd multichanger as this replaces the connection. When you choose CD changer on the stream unit and press play on your media device it will work no bother, not in AUX mode.

It is relatively easy to fit, remove head unit change out the plugs on the bottom passenger side of the unit and find an earth, there are a couple of screws you could use but i scotch blocked the main earth so it was a positive connection. With a bit of careful placement everthing fits behind the dash and i routed the aux cable out of one of the blank switches next to the traction control button. Any other help give me a shout.

Thanks Graeme B.

Well I wouldn't use the Cd changer with this in place anyway so that bit doesn't bother me.

What I didn't want to hear is having to remove the head unit and the dash, I'm terrified of either breaking something or not being able to get it back in when I'm done!

Do all the options require removing the head unit or is there anything that can be done at the changer?

Thanks.

In all honesty taking the head-unit out is a doddle. Open the ashtray, pull (gently but firmly) the bottom of the fascia towards you, the fascia should gradually pop off. 4 x Torx 20 (I think it's 20) screws hold the head-unit in place, undo these. (IIRC on the Stream they are hidden under four obvious covers). Pull the unit towards you. This will expose the quadlock and aerial connectors. The quadlock is held in place by a lever, as you undo the lever it will pull the plug out of the socket. The aerial is a simple squeeze latch.

Fitting is the reverse of removal.

If you need more space, undo the four Torx screws that hold the heating controls in place and pop that out........enough room in there ;) ;)

Everything fits back one way and all the connectors are keyed, so it would be seriously hard to plug things in the wrong place.

The other option you have would be to get a Stream MP3 instead. This has all the connections for an AUX port, you'd just need to wire one in (lots of "How to's" on here)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=stream+mp3&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=skoda+stream+mp3&_sacat=0

Make sure you get the code with it though. ;)

Thanks Rainbowfire.

Based on both of yours advice I have ordered the item.

The only thing I want to check is what I need to do with the earth?

The ebay item states important Connection Note: Connect Black Wire on adaptor to an earth (Chassis Ground). And Graeme stated: change out the plugs on the bottom passenger side of the unit and find an earth, there are a couple of screws you could use but i scotch blocked the main earth so it was a positive connection.

I just want to make sure I have all the parts to fit it as soon as it arrives.

When I added some more kit (dashcam and phonekit) I ran a separate earth line from one of the bolts in the fusebox. Depends what (if any) your future plans are. If you're planning for more toys in the future, I would wholeheartedly recommend running in a separate line now rather than faffing around later. Also, you *know* that the separate line goes straight to the chassis.

Ok thanks.

I don't have any future plans in the short term, although when I get some money together I would like a new double din, or I've been considering a car PC.

For now I'm presuming then that there is an existing earth I can use?

I've managed to find a torx screw at the back of the radio compartment which seems to be connected to the chassis so this seems ok now.

I've got it up and running! A lot easier than what I expected and nice and cheap too.

There's one wire which I can't decide what it's for. It's black and white and has a bullet connector on the end. It reads front left, which I presume means speaker but the front left does has sound from the aux. Any ideas?

if there's enough cable, you could mount it in the left-hand drive fuse-box area. Easy earth access, and you can still get to the unit to update the files on it.

(Open passenger front door, pop off vertical dash panel with vent-hole in it.)

For the moment I've managed to slip the aux wire through a tiny gap between the dash pillar and the plastic that covers the steering column. This allows me to fit the devices in the compartment above the gearbox.

At a later date I'm going to install it onto one of the spare buttons on the dash.

I still have this question though: There's one wire which I can't decide what it's for. It's black and white and has a bullet connector on the end. It reads front left, which I presume means speaker but the front left does has sound from the aux. Any ideas?

For the moment I've managed to slip the aux wire through a tiny gap between the dash pillar and the plastic that covers the steering column. This allows me to fit the devices in the compartment above the gearbox.

At a later date I'm going to install it onto one of the spare buttons on the dash.

Ah, I see where you mean. (not familiar with this device). When I installed my BT car kit, I too the top-box out, if you then look in the hole, to the right, you'll see a nice flat space. I vecro'd the kit in there. I also drilled a hole in the side of the top-box and fed a cable thru (the kit has a phone charger cable). You could do a similar thing, then the devices can live in the top-box, out of sight and harms way. ;)

I still have this question though: There's one wire which I can't decide what it's for. It's black and white and has a bullet connector on the end. It reads front left, which I presume means speaker but the front left does has sound from the aux. Any ideas?

No idea on that one buddy. What do the instructions say? Have you googled the unit to see if there's anything "out there"?