"Hifly"

k.young

After giving in to pressure from my boss to cut my motoring costs, on Monday I fitted 4 x 225/45/17 XL Hifly tyres to my car. Its the first time that I have fitted true bargain basement tyres to my car and I will report back when I have a couple of thousand miles on them.

Has anyone any experience of this brand ??

I once fitted a set of bargain tyres to the Mrs runabout, after three weeks I skipped them, they were lethal.

In the wet the grip reduced by about 80%, the first cold morning had a similar effect on grip levels......combine the wet and cold lord knows what the result would have been, we didn't want to find out

I guess a rope and an anchor would have given us a better emergency stop

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

Thanks for the replies guys. Thats sort of what I was expecting. I have put about 1100kms on these since Monday and they don't seem too bad, I will reserve judgement until I come across a few kms of damp but not fully wet roads, these are the conditions that budget tyres really try to kill you.

Has anyone tried this specific brand ??

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I very much hope that your report to the boss doesn't involve a wet corner, a tree and a hospital bed.

I've driven a few cars in my time but the only times that I've found myself in trouble is when the car in question has old, damaged, mismatched or budget tyres and fails to behave as consitently or predictably as it should. I'm a fair bit more cautious now...