Silly boy scratches project

FreakyRobb

Hi.

Had a moment of stupidity and managed to scratch my rear wheel arch down to the primer.

Thought i'd create a repair journal. feel free to offer suggestions and comment. First time doing any kind of repair so any advice welcome.

Heres the scratch:post-91860-0-04138800-1367589626_thumb.jpg

Next step, Halfrauds

OEM paint repair kit, colorcoded for your car. Wetsand the scratched area, clean with thinner/aceton etc. Blow away dust with compressed air (w/ water filter). Apply paint, but only to cover the damage. Wait until dry. Apply clear coat in several layers so that it is a bit thicker than your original paint. Wait until dry. Sand down so that the new clearcoat is even with the old one. Polish and buff the area to a shine. Done correctly, you will never see where the scratch was... easy as that. :)

OEM paint repair kit, colorcoded for your car. Wetsand the scratched area, clean with thinner/aceton etc. Blow away dust with compressed air (w/ water filter). Apply paint, but only to cover the damage. Wait until dry. Apply clear coat in several layers so that it is a bit thicker than your original paint. Wait until dry. Sand down so that the new clearcoat is even with the old one. Polish and buff the area to a shine. Done correctly, you will never see where the scratch was... easy as that. :)

what grade of wet n dry is best to use to rub down the clear coat once applied

Start with 1500 grit in my opinion, and work up to 2500 grit. Then a good compound polishing. Ensure the clearcoat has hardened sufficiently. I would leave a fair while to be sure.