01288 and 00778 steering angle sensor help

johal87

Hi guys,

a mate of mine not on the forum has just purchased a stolen recovered fabia vrs, can we please not get into the a discussion about the car, but more on getting the matter fixed.

The car came with a basic cut key, which just starts the car, and then cuts out, obviously the immobiliser is kicking in, today a mobile locksmith has been out, and got the car started with a new key, but it still needs some coding, but it does start the car for the mean while, it just doesn't opertate the remote locking.

Also noticed the electric windows do not work.

Once started most lights turned off, however the yellow steering wheel light stays on and there is no power steering, which brought up the codes:-

01288 Steering Assist Too High Terminal 30

And

00778 Steering Angle Sensor G85 No Communication

I have tried to do the steering angle sensor buy turning it one turn right one turn left and driving and logging in, however it wouldn't let me get into the basic settings.

Having done a bit of research on the 01288 fault, this pretty much leads to the pump or wiring being rotten, would this be the case here? Or has that fault been brought up from the angle sensor?

also when drove at slow speed, the abs traction and handbrake light starts flashing and beeping.

Many thanks in advance guys

also read that a weak battery may result in causing bad power steering, the car has been standing over a year, battery is pancaked, but still starts off a jump?

I've had steering angle faults due to an ABS fault before. The steering angle couldn't be reset until after the ABS issues were resolved. Are you getting any ABS faults, if so, would tackle them first.

With multiple electrical gremlins, wonder if its a possibility that wiring / engine fusebox has got wet or corroded at some point? Tricky without knowing the history.

Only abs fault was no communication, which was removed and didn't come back, guessing that could be from a very dead battery, but I know a fresh battery is going in tomorrow, so will report back from that, also I believe vcds had been locked out from when the chap was doing the key, which could explain why I couldn't log in

• 4 weeks later...