P0010 VVT Fault

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on a problem I have with my VRS (WRC 97/100, ex Mr Densem).....

Car was running fine, strong boost, until a month ago, when I would get occasional loss of boost in 4th, back off the throttle, go again, boost back again......

Then one day, loss of power, allowing (an estimated) 4psi, not the usual lots.....

Read the ECU.... P0601 Memory check Sum error (had this one since buying the car, never been an issue, and so was ignored)

and P0010 Cam Position Actuator Circuit Malfunction.....

I have done the following.....

Oil change (twice) and filter change including an oil flush (despite regular oilchanges, I thought I had better be sure.....)

Visual chack of wiring (no damage evident other than a small run of wires in the scuttle going to the ecu had broken (looked like rodent activity while in storage in spain), now repaired, fault not cured.

Removed VVT solenoid, checked resistance, (17 ohms, apparently in range) fed 12 volts to it briefly while off vehicle, working fine......

The car has twice refused to start first time, cranking normally without starting (almost like a fuel cut) but always started fine second time.... this problem has not reoccurred...

The car has done 166,000 miles, but the engine still sounds as sweet as the proverbial nut and there are no other faults that I can find...

I am now getting quite frustrated and wondered if anyone had found a similar problem/solution and I would be REALLY grateful of any advice or experience people have.....

17 ohms is nominal for the adjuster. Check the oil screen at the adjuster. If that's blocked you can get problems.

The next step would be to measure the adjuster resistance from the ECU plug. Is it 17 ohms from the ECU end? Leave the meter connected and 'maul' the wiring loom to check for an intermittant connection.

Cam position sensor can cause starting problems, as can crank sensor. Think it was mentioned a few days back that said car showed cam sensor while crank sensor was the problem

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OK, have checked at the ECU, following autodata, pin 115 (Green/White) should show 11-14V at idle, I am getting 5-6V........

I gather it is ECU Earthed switch, so therefore I am looking for a supply problem with the YellowBlack Wire.....?

Edited by skodaspannerman

...I gather it is ECU Earthed switch, so therefore I am looking for a supply problem with the Black Yellow Wire...?

I'm assuming it's a 2002. From my notes...

N205 pin-1 yellow/black shared with N75 (Charge pressure control solenoid valve) and N249 (Turbocharger divert air valve) -> black 14-pin connector, pin-6 (in plenum chamber) -> shared feed from fuse 34.

* you only need to trace back the join with N249/N75 - if those weren't working you would know.

N205 pin-2 green/white -> ECU pin 115 on the smaller 40-pin connector.

* with the 8 larger connections to the right, pin-115 is middle of bottom row of larger pins