Bolero to Columbus and Columbus variants.... few questions

Hi,

I have a 59 plate Octavia Vrs and ideally I'd like to upgrade to a head unit with on-board 7 digit Satnav.

The obvious choice is to go for a Columbus to replace my Bolero, but I have a few questions if anyone can help please?

Q1) Is there going to be any major difference (other than age) between a 2008 built unit and a 2011/12 built unit - assuming the 2008 has been successfully updated to the most recent firmware and maps?

reason I ask this question is I can get a fully updated 2008 unit for £360+p&p or a 2012 unit from a very well rated uk based Ebay seller for circa £440 inc p&p)

Q2) is there a noticeable difference between the quality/reliability of the LED/LCD versions of the unit?

Probably obvious why I'm asking that question!!

Q2) how good is the sound quality on the Columbus and will this differ between an older and newer model?

The reason I ask is I haven't completely ruled out an aftermarket head unit with onboard blue-tooth, phone Book etc.

many thanks in advance :thumbup:

Although I can't answer all of your questions, I can shed some light I hope.

Q1 & Q2) The screen on the later LED versions is much better than the earlier LCD versions although if it isn't a major concern, then the actual working of the units will be very similar.

Q3) The sound quality will be the same for both units. Personally, I don't think the sound of the Columbus (though many on here think it sounds good).

The main advantage of the Columbus is that it integrates so well with the rest of the car (especially if you have Maxidot). It is a classy-looking unit with a great user interface. However, to add ipod control and bluetooth you are looking at at least another £300+ which makes it quite pricey. For me, something like the Kenwood DNX520VBT offers more functionality and much better sound quality for very similar money - the fact it integrates so well simply adds to the benefits.

In the end, it comes down to what's most important. If it's purely sound quality, go aftermarket. If you want an OEM unit, the Columbus is a good choice.

Hope that helps.