Differences between AXX and BWA TFSI engine codes

Not turned up an definitive answers through search or Google, so I'll float this one out there!

A normal Mk5 Golf GTi TFSI (EA113 engine) appears to change engine codes part way through production. Early cars having the AXX and later the BWA. Not sure if this was the same story for the pre-facelift Mk2 Octavia. As far as I'm aware only the BWA was used in the Octavia.

Are there any differences between the two codes that would make one more desirable than the other?

The only differences that seem to be rumoured are different ECU's, different piston designs and compression ratios. Any of this true?

I'm sure there are some TFSI geeks around here that can help........ :nerd:

On a side note, Briskoda is by far the best car forum out there. Trawling through endless VW specific forums and threads has really highlighted how good we have it over at Briskoda!

Well I have a 06 plate MK2 Octy vRS and I have the BWA engine.. thats about as early as you can get!

Although I did pass a black 55 plate MK2 vRS on the A30 the other day....

Sorry, should have clarified! I'm asking because I'm looking at buying a Mk5 GTi. I don't think the Octy ever had the AXX.

Just thought that there may be some TFSI boffs about here that would know the differences.

If you get an AXX make sure it has the Revison B cam fitted, the Rev A wears cam followers out quickly. I would get a BWA for piece of mind.

Cheers for the tip. I'll stick with BWA's then.

Is the engine code as easy to find as it is on the 20vT?