New tyres fitted- great improvement

I have just fitted a set of Continental Premium Contact 5 tyres, I also changed the profile from 205/60 to 195/65 on 15" rims. After 2000 miles there are two noticeable improvements; the ride has improved and the tyre noise has improved markedly. Even my misssus, who has zero interest in cars or mechanical things, commented on the quieter ride. There is a stretch of dual carriageway near here that was horrendously noisy on the Michelin tyres previously fitted, and now it is perfectly acceptable. I know I have changed two things and the changes are subjective, but am very pleased with the tyres.

Continental seem to be a softer compound compared to the Michelins (which will probably last a bit longer). Had this with a previous car (Megane) which came with Michelin Primacy's all round - they lasted for ages but very noisy. So switched to Continental Sports and what a difference in the cabin - road noise greatly reduced. Think it's trial and error depending on the car - had Conti Sports on another car (Civic) and they ran pretty rough.

However, I've put Goodyear Eagles on my Octavia and they are quiet - so much so that I'm discovering other noises! (exclusively related to the damn retractable boot cover) :rofl:

Tyre make/model aside, shifting to a higher side tyre (e.g. from /60 to /65) should always improve quietness for there's more "rubber" to dampen vertical impacts.

My wife's Yaris, having the same 15" of my Octy but a lower weight to "iron out" the bumps ha a much harsher ride. I wish she had "normal" 14" wheels on such a small and light car.