My 1.2 Tsi 105 DSG vs previous 1.2 HTP 70

Had the car a few days now and is superior in every way to the little 3 pot except one. Tyre noise!.

The car is superb, so responsive, nippy and that DSG..does it REALLY have 7 GEARS?. I have to look at the dash to know it's changed a gear at all. It's a bit more noticeable when pushing hard but the box is just so smooth. I love all the bells and whistles especially the Cruise control and the reverse park sensors with on screen aid. The only downside as I have said is that the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 205 45 16 tyres are quite noticeably vocal whereas my previous 1.2 HTP had Turanza on 15" wheels and much quieter.

post-27432-0-90280200-1370349755_thumb.jpg

I like yellow cars, but Mrs PDIBK say "no". A lot.

I also like your wheels and I bet the roar from my 17s isn't much better, but the ride is probably worse...

What trim level is yours? I do miss reverse sensors and cruise, especially as Mrs's has 'em.

I do like my 5 spd manual, but on driving Dad's DSG 105 TSI, I could probably slum it with DSG ;-)

I like yellow cars, but Mrs PDIBK say "no". A lot.

I also like your wheels and I bet the roar from my 17s isn't much better, but the ride is probably worse...

What trim level is yours? I do miss reverse sensors and cruise, especially as Mrs's has 'em.

I do like my 5 spd manual, but on driving Dad's DSG 105 TSI, I could probably slum it with DSG ;-)

I'd recommend 'slumming it'!! Yes I was very impressed with the look of Comet alloys and thought they looked well on the yellow car when we went to look. The trim level on mine is 'Elegance' and the whole car just feels more solid that my HTP did. Perhaps a bit more sound deadening and certainly better material on the doors and seats. I can't say the ride quality suffers on 16", it's just the tyres do 'sing' a bit but not enough to be a nuisance. If anyone knows of a quieter tyre please do recommend so that eventually I can try them.

Excellent - I meant my ride quality - funnily enough, Dad went from 16" on his 1.9 TDI "3" to 15" on his 1.2 TSI Elegance and said he couldn't tell the difference.

I haven't taken him anywhere yet in the Monte (despite a year of ownership), to show him how "crashy" the Monte is.

Yes, it's a "sporty" car, but I think the overall effect is just a tad on the harsh side.

• Like 1

Had the car a few days now and is superior in every way to the little 3 pot except one. Tyre noise!.

The car is superb, so responsive, nippy and that DSG..does it REALLY have 7 GEARS?. I have to look at the dash to know it's changed a gear at all. It's a bit more noticeable when pushing hard but the box is just so smooth. I love all the bells and whistles especially the Cruise control and the reverse park sensors with on screen aid. The only downside as I have said is that the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 205 45 16 tyres are quite noticeably vocal whereas my previous 1.2 HTP had Turanza on 15" wheels and much quieter.

Enjoy borrowing the 1.2 TSIs as a loan car when the HTP or VRS is in for service etc. One thing I notice is that the HTP warms up super quick which is a plus. I also like the fact the HTP uses te same size tyres as the spare ie 195/55-15s so ordered several spares at less than 100 quid each which I now use at the spares came with Contis on and the the Bridgestones, which are very hard wearing but not super grippy so I can ditch these for winter tyres over the next few months.

Like the exhaust not of the triple too. VRS just melts the 205/40-17 Contis it came with but much better now on Michelin PS3s with nitrogen filling. ATS do good deals on Michelin as Mich own them. If you drive enthusiastically then suggesting selling the ER tyres and getting sticky ones.

Came up behind a Q7 quite quick and flashed it and then zoomed on, very repsectible and interesting to compare the acceleration between the 105hp petrol and diesel, significant difference I recall.

Enjoy borrowing the 1.2 TSIs as a loan car when the HTP or VRS is in for service etc. One thing I notice is that the HTP warms up super quick which is a plus. I also like the fact the HTP uses te same size tyres as the spare ie 195/55-15s so ordered several spares at less than 100 quid each which I now use at the spares came with Contis on and the the Bridgestones, which are very hard wearing but not super grippy so I can ditch these for winter tyres over the next few months.

Like the exhaust not of the triple too. VRS just melts the 205/40-17 Contis it came with but much better now on Michelin PS3s with nitrogen filling. ATS do good deals on Michelin as Mich own them. If you drive enthusiastically thensuggesting selling the ER tyres and getting sticky ones.

Came up behind a Q7 quite quick and flashed it and then zoomed on, very repsectible and interesting to compare the acceleration between the 105hp petrol and diesel, significant difference I recall.

Cheers, I am in no way belittling the 3 pot, I loved mine. It's merely an observation of just how good the Tsi 105 is, especially when married to the DSG. As an older ,nay lets say old! driver I certainly am a lot more sedate these days and the noise is acceptable but noticeable after the HTP so when I do change my tyres I will be looking at which might be the quieter ones. I would go so far as to say the Tsi DSG is everything I want in a car these days. Nice to drive, superb gearbox for relaxed or sporty driving, comfortable and very economical. Even cheaper to tax than the HTP!!!

Cheers, I am in no way belittling the 3 pot, I loved mine. It's merely an observation of just how good the Tsi 105 is, especially when married to the DSG. As an older ,nay lets say old! driver I certainly am a lot more sedate these days and the noise is acceptable but noticeable after the HTP so when I do change my tyres I will be looking at which might be the quieter ones. I would go so far as to say the Tsi DSG is everything I want in a car these days. Nice to drive, superb gearbox for relaxed or sporty driving, comfortable and very economical. Even cheaper to tax than the HTP!!!

It is difficult stepping from the 1.2 HTP we have which is 60 hp to the VRS is 180 hp and the driving is so different.

On a cold winter morning I am so please to be able to turn the heater on after half a mile and get loads of hot air. The Fabia VRS seems to be quicker or as quick than about 98% of cars and that is great for something that only cost about £15K does 43 mpg and is now on variable servicing. It is still slow compared to some. Had an Audi R8 on the Worcester ring road accelerate away like I was standing still, would have struggled on the bike.

Wish they would drop the 1.4TSI in the Fabia. Having a 122 or140 hp version would probably get some sales but then the Fabia VRS is cheap to run unless you get wacked for high insurance.

How are you finding the seats? Are they better than the HTP as this is one of the biggest difference I find in least to most powerful variants? Are they middling or quite good? No lumber on my VRS but seem quite supportive and I sometimes do 200-300 mile journeys.

• Like 1

Nice one Horkin! Great motors aren't they. Glad you like it. Yours would be the level '3' if I'm not mistaken then? Like you I went auto with my 1.6 16v Tiptronic but your's is way ahead on fuel use overall, giving better figures I bet. I can get 51mpg, but only on a gently run not going over 60mph in 6th gear. Bet you can do better! Like the wheels...oh, and my Turanza's are hellishly noisey too. I notice it after having Conti's on the diesel I just got rid of. Keep rocking! :rock:

Yep, the Turanzas are a hard and noisy tyre. Last for ages on the upside. I recommend the Michelin Energy Saver+ it's an excellent all-rounder and good on noise levels. Probably the best tyre I've had so far.

• Like 1

It is difficult stepping from the 1.2 HTP we have which is 60 hp to the VRS is 180 hp and the driving is so different.

On a cold winter morning I am so please to be able to turn the heater on after half a mile and get loads of hot air. The Fabia VRS seems to be quicker or as quick than about 98% of cars and that is great for something that only cost about £15K does 43 mpg and is now on variable servicing. It is still slow compared to some. Had an Audi R8 on the Worcester ring road accelerate away like I was standing still, would have struggled on the bike.

Wish they would drop the 1.4TSI in the Fabia. Having a 122 or140 hp version would probably get some sales but then the Fabia VRS is cheap to run unless you get wacked for high insurance.

How are you finding the seats? Are they better than the HTP as this is one of the biggest difference I find in least to most powerful variants? Are they middling or quite good? No lumber on my VRS but seem quite supportive and I sometimes do 200-300 mile journeys.

The seats are noticeably better fabric and more comfortable feeling in the Elegance. That's not to knock the HTP (70) seats which we found to be very comfortable too. The Tsi Elegance just feels a bit more luxurious. Mind you my HTP was a 2007 and the Tsi a 2010 model.

Nice one Horkin! Great motors aren't they. Glad you like it. Yours would be the level '3' if I'm not mistaken then? Like you I went auto with my 1.6 16v Tiptronic but your's is way ahead on fuel use overall, giving better figures I bet. I can get 51mpg, but only on a gently run not going over 60mph in 6th gear. Bet you can do better! Like the wheels...oh, and my Turanza's are hellishly noisey too. I notice it after having Conti's on the diesel I just got rid of. Keep rocking! :rock:

Hi mate, yes loving it to bits. Level 3? I think mines a face lift on that. The earlier cars were termed 1, 2 and 3 levels then they changed that to SE, SE plus and Elegance. Mine being the Elegance. I haven't been on the Motorway yet but on a 20 mile trip up the A16 and a bit of town centre today I got 53mpg on the display. Couldn't get better that low 40's same trip in the HTP. Thanks for the input on the Turansas, it seems most agree they are a hard and noisy tyre, having said that I had them on the 15" wheels on my previous car and they were okay, I think it's because I,ve gone to 16" wider and lower profile that I notice the difference. Nice to hear from you :thumbup:

Strange most people knock the Monte's ride but I've found it slightly better than our 2010 Elegance on standard springs and 16" rims, even took it all the way to Switzerland through France using N and D roads to avoid tolls and was more than happy with it.

Anyway back to subject; our Elegance had Conti PremiumContact 2 tyres and I would not recommend them either for quietness or wet grip. Would try something like the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, seems to be well rated and listed as one of the quieter tyres. Have the slightly older design Sport Maxx on ours and they are much better than the Conti in all respects.

TP

• Like 1

Yep, the Turanzas are a hard and noisy tyre. Last for ages on the upside. I recommend the Michelin Energy Saver+ it's an excellent all-rounder and good on noise levels. Probably the best tyre I've had so far.

I had Michelin's fitted to my old mk1 Fabia and they were superb - all 4 got fitted around the same time and through sheer laziness I forgot to rotate them, despite that the 2 on the front lasted over 40k miles before they hit the wear indicator.

I'll be getting them again when the Dunlops on my Rapid need replacing.

• Like 1

Strange most people knock the Monte's ride but I've found it slightly better than our 2010 Elegance on standard springs and 16" rims, even took it all the way to Switzerland through France using N and D roads to avoid tolls and was more than happy with it.

Anyway back to subject; our Elegance had Conti PremiumContact 2 tyres and I would not recommend them either for quietness or wet grip. Would try something like the Dunlop Sport Maxx RT, seems to be well rated and listed as one of the quieter tyres. Have the slightly older design Sport Maxx on ours and they are much better than the Conti in all respects.

TP

I , like many, had terrible expereince with the Dunlop Sport Max on the Octavia VRS with it disptorting on the rear, effectively turning in to something resembling a 50p peice.

Clearly they can make good tyre, ask Michael Dunlop, mind you the way he is riding he could be on a push bike and probably win.

I always take my lead from VW-Audit Motor sport, what do they use? Not Conti or Japanese or US. They use Michelin.

Time and time again I find them far superior to what I replace whether that is Bridgestone, Conti, Dunlop etc.

Was quite suprised that our 60 hp HTP has 15 inch 195s and with some rather cheap wheel covers from Argos which really much the HTP, which ours is red, look quite nice.

If only they had stuck a sixth gear on it and given given it better seats it would be even good on longer journeys!

htp wheels.bmp

I had Michelin's fitted to my old mk1 Fabia and they were superb - all 4 got fitted around the same time and through sheer laziness I forgot to rotate them, despite that the 2 on the front lasted over 40k miles before they hit the wear indicator.

I'll be getting them again when the Dunlops on my Rapid need replacing.

40K is amazing. In years gone by I always had Michelin but then they went off for a while and had a fair bit of criticism from the motoring press. Can't remember just why but I think they had issues in the wet. Looks like they are back on song though and definitely one to look at.