Winter tyres / wheel sizes

Leoh

Hi all - we've just bought a roomster to replace a scenic that died. Initially we were looking at 4wd options as we live in a remote and hilly part of yorkshire which catches the snow, and is the last to be ploughed or gritted. Despite the above we couldn't justify either the initial outlay or the high fuel costs, and not too keen on the high fuel consumption for environmental reasons either. So got the Roomster - which we and the kids love!

Research led me to the conclusion that we could save both pennies and our conscience by getting a 2wd and fitting winter tyres. In all but the worst I reckon this will do the job, when it gets really bad we can fire up the fiat sedici.

To cut to the chase: I want spare wheels with winter tyres fitted, rather than swapping back and forth. Searching around I've found a set of Fabia steels with decent tyres already fitted, but am wondering if they will fit the Roomy. They are 14", specifically 6J x 14 5 x 100.00 x 57.00 ET: 43.00 5-hole. Does anyone know if these will be okay on a 2010/11 roomster?

I've had a look at the 200 page long skoda wheel sizes pdf (in German) posted elsewhere on this forum, but am not confident I've interpreted it right.

I guess I could ask a main dealer, but thought if I can find someone with personal experience it would be preferable.

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Apologies for 1) length of post and 2) probably going over old ground, that's been done to death elsewhere!

Edited by Leoh

The Roomster is pretty much the same as a Fabia from the A pillar forward, so they should be fine. What size are the wheels that are already on your car? If you already have 14"s fitted then you'll definitely have no problems. If you've something bigger take a look to see how much clearance there is between the front callipers and the wheel.

Thanks Julie D

Have just checked - they are 15" alloys. Plenty of clearance on rear calliper, but next to nothing (<5mm) on front, so could be a close thing dropping to 14". I guess the steels will not have the bulk of the alloys, so could still be fine.

They guy selling says I'm welcome to go over and do a test fit - but it's over an hour drive, so would like to be pretty certain they'll work!

At least on 1.6CR TDI Roomster front brakes require 15" wheels. Roomsters for different markets and with other engines may have smaller front brakes, and for these you can use 14".

There's a huge choice of secondhand 15" alloys that will fit your car. I've got a set of five spoke alloys from a mk1 Audi A3 for my Fabia, and you'll also find a plentiful supply of VW alloys from mk4 Golfs. You should be able to pick up a decent set for no more than £100. Best bet is to get bare alloys, or wheels with worn out tyres - no point having to pay extra for tyres that you'll never use (and would probably be the wrong size for your car anyway). Gumtree or eBay would be good places to look, as well as the classifieds on here.

Hi, i presume you're talking about the ones I have for sale. I'll do some checking and let you know. But yes, by all means you can come and try them. Though if you only have 5mm clearance on the front, then I doubt it.

if you were thinking of fitting 14" to your car then I suppose you're not concerned about insurers nitpicking on changes. In that case fit the winter set with 185/60R15 tyres. A good deal cheaper than the default 195/55R15 and the thinner tyres will be fine in snow. Plus you'll have more luck getting chains on those without bashing the wheel wells. I too have 2 sets of alloys, and will be replacing the worn out winters again with the above mentioned 185 tyres

Good point about the insurance. Not something I'd want to muck about with having totalled a panda 4x4 on an icy downhill stretch a couple of winters ago. Sob - loved that little car...it even landed the right way up and got me the last three miles home! Lol

So definitely 15" wheels then!

Thanks to all for responses! Most helpful.

Yeah, they're not going to fit your car, as much as I'd like them to :) Check the inside of your fuel flap, it will show all the allowed sizes and tyre combinations for your car and pick one of those.