Rapid from Portugal

I can see why you might press lock more than once though, the locks can actually be a bit 'quiet' depending on the general level of environment noise around you so it's not always easy to tell if it did actually lock or not, it might be worth you finding someone with a VCDS who can enable the locking/unlocking beeps :)

I can see why you might press lock more than once though, the locks can actually be a bit 'quiet' depending on the general level of environment noise around you so it's not always easy to tell if it did actually lock or not, it might be worth you finding someone with a VCDS who can enable the locking/unlocking beeps :)

I just saw your edited message now! lol yes so true, sometimes user's manual can be a bit confusing!! I'll give it a try today and I'll post here my own feedback. Thank you!

Regarding the double check, you are right. Usually on sunny days the turn lights are not that visible, and with normal ambient noise the lock sound is also difficult to detect. Is that really possible? The locking/unlocking beeps, in the Rapid?

. Is that really possible? The locking/unlocking beeps, in the Rapid?

Yeah think it was Ad Lav who had it done on his, so unless there's an odd regional difference between the models then you should be able to get it enabled.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Yeah think it was Ad Lav who had it done on his, so unless there's an odd regional difference between the models then you should be able to get it enabled.

Humm very nice! I will investigate it!:) Thank you for the heads up!

Last week my seller contacted me to give me this:

1icj.jpg

And a picture from the drivers' seat to give you a sample of my black-grey upholstery (this is the default Elegance interior here in Portugal, at least until I bought mine):

gzpl.jpg

I didn't have time to test the alarm:( I'll do it tomorrow, cause I've just arrived at home, its already dark and I don't want to make voluntary noise for the neighbours!

Did your car not arrive with the scraper then? It's going to prove handy come winter time I think :)

After the discussion about VCDS/alarm beep, I've been looking on the ross-tech website: holy moly they are a bit pricey, AND I would have to run windows on my laptop to use it  :sweat: I think I'll pass and wait for kind souls to help me out whenever I want to do/check something! 

• Like 1

Did your car not arrive with the scraper then? It's going to prove handy come winter time I think :)

After the discussion about VCDS/alarm beep, I've been looking on the ross-tech website: holy moly they are a bit pricey, AND I would have to run windows on my laptop to use it  :sweat: I think I'll pass and wait for kind souls to help me out whenever I want to do/check something! 

I didn't paid for the ice scraper! I didn't understand very well the reason, but my seller said that they transport the scraper apart, because of robberies. Well, if its because of that, why don't just put it in the glove compartment? I didn't argue:) I think they just forgot it, that's all. Well, in my city the probability of snowing is almost zero, but in my mother's village, near Serra da Estrela, second highest point in Portugal, it snows in the winter and there it will actually prove to be handy!

I'll ask some friends who got VWs if they have the VCDS. I've just checked it out, wow, around 200-300€ the enthusiast system?? I was thinking it was about only 50€ or so! I'm so naive:/!

Yeah it's an eye opener for sure. I could live with the price, as it can be an incredibly useful tool - but honestly, the PC software leaves an awful lot to be desired and being 'windows only' really isn't good at all :(

They have a 'mobile' version under development I think but news on it is very slow in coming forward, and I don't imagine it will be anything other than more expensive again given it will have to be a more powerful micro controller on-board to handle the (what appears to be) wifi and embedded webserver. The limited info on that though looks like a pretty basic UI design as well though :(

Wonder if they need a software engineer to work on their User Interfaces .... :giggle:

yeah, the "windows only" kinda makes me reticent too. I'm a Windows user at home, but at work I use Linux. I don't know much, but I'm always learning. About the mobile version, it will be for windows mobile, no? Maybe they need indeed a user interface designer;) Using those VCDS by ourselves voids the warranty, doesn't it? (if they discover of course:))

Edited by niant

I'm not 100% clear on that, it could depend on what exactly you've changed via VCDS?

I think the mobile version, if I'm reading it right, will basically show up as a wifi access point that you connect to and then use a web browser to access it - so it becomes completely platform independent at that point, which is exactly how it should be.

The USB ross-tech cables just present as a serial port on windows though, so there's technically no reason at all why they couldn't support other platforms other than maybe having no in-house developers with non-windows experience, it'll be a simple command/response architecture.

• Like 1

I'm not 100% clear on that, it could depend on what exactly you've changed via VCDS?

I think the mobile version, if I'm reading it right, will basically show up as a wifi access point that you connect to and then use a web browser to access it - so it becomes completely platform independent at that point, which is exactly how it should be.

The USB ross-tech cables just present as a serial port on windows though, so there's technically no reason at all why they couldn't support other platforms other than maybe having no in-house developers with non-windows experience, it'll be a simple command/response architecture.

Yes, true, maybe you're right. For instance, I don't think that activating the beep locking sound would void the warranty. Nevertheless I'll ask the guys from the Skoda authorized shop about that. 

Ah ok...You are saying that future cars themselves will have a web server with Wi-fi built-in? Then we can access to the car features just like we access to any router settings, for example! That sounds really nice!

Bit of a hassle, but you could you not perhaps run a virtual machine?

There's always that scape, yes, if you have a reasonable computer. In my notebook, virtual machines struggle a bit:/ which was expected!

Edited by niant

Ah ok...You are saying that future cars themselves will have a web server with Wi-fi built-in?

Not quite although I expect someone will do that as well at some point, what I mean above is that the Ross tech VCDS device will have a WiFi hot spot and web server built in to it so when it's plugged in to the car you can use your phone/tablet instead of having to connect it via USB to a laptop

• Like 1

Not quite although I expect someone will do that as well at some point, what I mean above is that the Ross tech VCDS device will have a WiFi hot spot and web server built in to it so when it's plugged in to the car you can use your phone/tablet instead of having to connect it via USB to a laptop

ah ok, I understand now!! Thank you the explanation!  That would be nice indeed, very practical and OS-independent just like you said.

Finally I was able to set off the alarm. Just locked myself in, waited for about 30 seconds, and then comes the alarm:) I didn't need to move much, since I just stood there waiting. I think it also uses the weight sensors!

Edited by niant

Ok so today my netting system just arrived from superskoda. Is was dispatched on July 11th. It was super fast!

zos4.jpg 4vd7.jpg

I will mount it today!

Edited by niant

The big net for the bottom is handy with the Rapid having such a bit boot.

It takes a bit of faffing about though, so not for when you are in a rush. :)

• Like 1

Net system looks quite handy. Just had a look at the brochure, in the pics there are some little raised partitions between the wheel arch and the rear, where can I get some of those from? Mine doesn't have them :-(

• Like 1

Came in mine, possibly they are part of the "boot pack" which also included the nets?

Handy for oddments to stop them rolling around.  Such as the nets you haven't fitted yet. :D

• Like 2

Net system looks quite handy. Just had a look at the brochure, in the pics there are some little raised partitions between the wheel arch and the rear, where can I get some of those from? Mine doesn't have them :-(

Yes, I've noticed those partitions too. I would like to get a pair of those, they didn't came with mine neither:(

The big net for the bottom is handy with the Rapid having such a bit boot.

It takes a bit of faffing about though, so not for when you are in a rush. :)

True. They are quite handy mainly for round little things. I really hate to hear trunk noises when I'm driving, specially on roundabouts :/

Handy for oddments to stop them rolling around.

Indeed. Or bottles of screen wash :-) I'm currently using the adjustable strap around the bottle's handle to keep it held upright :giggle:

This might be a job for Preston motors! Although I wouldn't be surprised if they have to be ordered as a part rather than an accessory at a cost of £8,000,000,000 :think:

• Like 1

Indeed. Or bottles of screen wash :-) I'm currently using the adjustable strap around the bottle's handle to keep it held upright :giggle:

This might be a job for Preston motors! Although I wouldn't be surprised if they have to be ordered as a part rather than an accessory at a cost of £8,000,000,000 :think:

You were talking about the side partitions?