Would like to find out more information about the Skoda Fun...

Hello,

I have been searching the web and it seems as though my google-fu is not as strong as it once was and am having trouble on finding anything that relates to the actual owning / upkeep of a Skoda Fun.

Whilst browsing for my next vehicle, as mine is up for sale, I came across the unique looking car and was instantly smitten with how unique it is.

Is anybody able to give any pointers / information in regards to the expense that these cost to run, upkeep and, I know there is a broad variety of prices but, the parts?

Any responses would be hugely appreciated and helpful!

Thanks everyone!

Hi teh_crunch & I'd be glad to share my owner experiences relating to my old girl.

Quirky, daft, different, fun & extremely yellow all spring to mind & it has to be said adoration is in the eye of the beholder! I'm now 5 years & 63k (114k total) down the line & in that time she's only let me down once :thumbup: . VW engine & providing they receive the care & attention deserved you could reasonably expect to enjoy many years of reliable motoring. The front half is essentially Felicia with a commercial suspension arrangement on the rear. With the right selection of tools & a bit of know how most jobs are doable, parts remain affordable & relatively easy to source, assisted at times by some inventive thinking. For a 1.6 mpg really isn't that bad & I'd say I'm averaging around 35-38 for general local running around & typically mid 40's for longer steady runs. With 75 bhp & depending on what you're used to driving you might find them a little lacking in that department. However the unit delivers quite reasonable levels of torque & if like me your boy racer days are a fairly distant memory it shouldn't trouble you too much. Expect to potentially pay a little more on the insurance front as most insurers will class it as commercial regardless of use!

Bodywork wise the 3 things to fear are corrosion, corrosion & rust thrown in for good measure! They all have the usual suspect places where they start to go (wings, sills, tailgate, bed/rear arch turrets to name but a few). The other problem will be areas you can't so readily see & these tend to relate to sections hiding behind trim & around suspension mounts etc. It's important to satisfy yourself as to condition as remedial works can be very expensive, unless of course you're taking on a project? The rear folding seat arrangement is a really neat idea & this can be complimented by a tonneau cover or truckman top.

In short cracking little pick ups & great 'fun' come rain or shine (preferably shine) :yes:

Good luck with your search if you decide to go down that route.

Rob ;)

Hi Rob,

Thank you very much for giving an informative opinion about the car. I actually accidently stumbled upon the vehicle whilst looking at felicias and saw the front was ever so similar and thought that the mechanics would be about equal? Perhaps that is my lack of knowledge, wishful thinking logic coming into play but hey!

May I ask you to elaborate on the "attention it deserves", what do you mean by that? Do you mean keep it properly serviced / well maintained etc? I do always want the best for my vehicle so this will happen but am curious as to which specific aspect you mean :)

MPG sounds good to me. Most of my trips will be from home - work but the odd road trip is always in order, especially when you have a motor you enjoy being in.

The speed is not an interest of mine really. I am used to my mk2 golf gti but I actually reverted it from being lowered back to standard suspension and didn't want any of the typical induction kit / exhaust :P My brother was dumb-struck as to my reasoning ha!

I did think about the insurence side of things but I am yet to phone to get a solid price on that front. I was not aware it would be classed as a commercial vehicle! So thank you for the heads up.

I am not looking for a project, I do not have the time nor space to do so sadly =/ Would actually really like to start one at some point but I need more space to house anything. I can understand that body work may be required but I will certainly have a good check around everywhere before making a purchase, especially around the areas you suggested. I think a torch may be in order.

Providing the price is right and insurance is not too much I think I may go down this route. Although if not a Felicia will be awesome! Thank you for your insight, it has been very helpful and has actually made me feel more confident about this car on the whole as well as giving me pointers on what to check for when having a look around it.

Always sunshine!

Cheers!

Ben

Hi Ben,

Yes pretty much the same as most cars, well looked after/maintained & serviced on spec combined with receipts for parts/works completed etc. They can also be prone to water ingress around the windscreen perimeter and this will typically show itself in the foot wells, so worth checking. 

You should be able to pick one up for a sensible price but do be cautious as there can be a tendency to over inflate value!

Anything else just shout & look forward to seeing your car profile updated with 'fun'  :sun:  ;)

If you end up looking at funs then the things I'd look for:

- Has it been looked after? A lot of these have had a rough life as they are pickups!

- Rust. They do like a bit of tin-worm. Sills (the body kits trap water), front wings, rear shock mount areas (can be seen in the bed) as well as patches on the doors and tailgate.

- Engine can use oil, valve stem seals are a common problem (not too expensive to have done though).

Overall they are great though :) Sky (one of the club insurance company's) sorted me.

• Like 1

Hello Ferret,

Thank you for your insight :) I will certainly take into account what you have said and check throughly and it really does make sense that they may have had quite the long haul in their lives.

Fingers crossed I come accross a decent runner :)

Most helpful!

Yup everything that Ferret said. Also look for signs of being modded at some point. Seems that the Funs attract people "doing things" to them. It should come with yellow wheels, again a popular change is putting bigger ones on. Some have OE mods (mines got remote locking and electric mirrors). I have seen them with electric windows too.

Truckman tops are always useful, especially for using it as a 4-seater in the wetter months. A good Truckman should have 2 keys, if possible get the one with glass sides.

From the B-pillar forwards they are identical to the cars, so all the usual foibles apply (dodgy thermostats etc), but this also means that there are no "Fun specific" parts in that area either (except for the front bumper). Unlike the cars, there was no facelift, although the very early ones had a different interior. (yellow cloth on the doors)

IIRC there are only 400 out of the original 642 left, so they are a bit thin on the ground, but eBay always seems to have 1 or 2 for sale. Mine is in the garage at the moment, but will be up for grabs once it's back.

Good luck with the search :) :)

Hi RainbowFire,

Thanks for the response. Are truckmans difficult to find for this car? I have had a look myself and found I think maybe one floating on eBay that seems to be for the Fun rather than a generic truckman...

So they are similar to the felicia under the bonnet? I was somewhat hoping that to be the case, otherwise I think it would hinder them for parts taking into account how unique the vehicle is.

That is an interesting fact.. Wow, I was not aware on how thin these things were spread!
I thank you for the feedback :)