DSG clutch problems

My Octavia TDI 140 dsg has just spent 3 days at the dealer having a vibration diagnosed. It had a replacement engine 2500 miles ago due to a snapped timing belt (covered in another topic). Dealer reckons clutch might be on its way out but wants £570 to remove gearbox and check clutch assembly, this is before any work that may need doing.

Dealer also maintains that clutch problems are not linked to the timing belt failure but I'm not so sure. Seems a bit coincidental that clutch was fine before engine failure and now it isn't. Can't imagine that going from 3000rpm to 0 In a split second did it much good, also car kept rolling after engine failed for a few hundred yards as I pulled onto hard shoulder.

Car has had over £5000 spent on it in last 2 months, 2k by me, rest by dealer. I don't want to spend any more, any way I can prove clutch was damaged by belt failure or subsequent repair work?

How do they intend to check the clutchs, if there anything like the ford powershift boxes there a sealed unit in what would be bellhousing on a manual and when you do strip them there just a clutch pack like on a motorbike or a hgv

Are they sure it is not the flywheel?

No, but this will also require hideously expensive removal procedure.

Edited by ttw

How do they intend to check the clutchs, if there anything like the ford powershift boxes there a sealed unit in what would be bellhousing on a manual and when you do strip them there just a clutch pack like on a motorbike or a hgv

No idea, guess it would be £570 to remove gearbox then £400 to replace clutch pack.