Greenline engine failure.

They havent given me any explanation for the smell, all i can say is ive never smelled it before & it's too much of a coincidence to occur just before breaking down but i never get the chance to speak to a mechanic to get a decent answer back.

I know some folk will reckon your smell is the DPF but i can only say that ive never smelled anything from the DPF whilst driving,only when stopped or when ive just got out of the car, i was doing 60mph when the smell occurred & it came through the vents.

Interestingly i was using the air recirculate button as i was using air con & my thinking was it's easier on the system to use already cold air rather than cooling from warm outside air.in effect i had sealed off the outside environment so how come i got a smell from the engine bay presumably????,bit of a mystery!!!

Theres a few things they need to clear up when they eventually hand me the car back,

Actually i feel a little visit today is in order to see how things are going. :)

Still no sign of my car, & it was almost 2 weeks ago i broke down.

i went to the dealer 2 days ago & was told by Reception that the mechanic was running some more tests.

i drove past the dealers yesterday & could see my car sat outside the garage rather than in it & seemingly nothing being done.

i continue to wait!

Does not bode well if the dealer is scratching there heads.

Sounds like potentially a couple of problems manifesting themselves together.

Mine has had the Egr valve replaced recently as the other was failing and from the service guy looking into it's history seems to have had most of the DPF sensors replaced int he past as well.

My car is on 32k miles at the mo and increasing by about 70miles a day.

Touch wood it is not going to have the same problem but will keep an eye to see how you go.

Good luck with it and would defo go into the dealer and get a hands on check around the car. On the note of injectors, they are piezo crystal one's I think and each injector has a code on it to allow correct set-up of the ecu management to prevent the 'pinking' sound you seem to have had.

My fabia seems to be more tractor like in it's sound to my old 'y' reg 1.9pd tdi I used to have and as the rest of the guys mentioned the power band is very tight.

Andy

Well Andy ill hopefully tell you something tomorrow as i had an answer message saying that it's ready to pick up now so ill be going to get it tomorrow afternoon & see what they say & then have a bit of a drive about,hopefully by afternoon time any start ups of the engine will be well out of the way & ill get to listen to it in first gear, cold pull off for rattling.

Fingers crossed!!!

Got my car back! Woop woop!.

The story is that they replaced the number 3 injector on the advice of skoda technical, this cured the chapping noise but the car had no power.After much investigation they disconnected the exhaust system as the exhaust temperature & pressures were very high.the car ran fine.

The guy on the desk then told me that they replaced the cat & the dpf although the small report only says "cat blocked" & " replaced cat", perhaps they are basically 1 unit or a pair???.it was a £900 part anyway so glad not from my pocket.

The car then ran ok.

The theory is (plus ties in with some posts here) that the failed injector caused excess fuel to be put into the cat which then damaged the cat.This would explain the dodgy smell 5 miles before breakdown as i guess the injector was on its last legs then & starting to dump fuel into the cat.Changing gear to come off at the junction then caused the injectors final demise.

Ive been for a quick spin,1st gear pull off revealed none of the usual chattering although ill know better tomorrow morning after a true cold start.The car isnt dramatically different although it is pulling well through the rev range,mpg is similar to normal but will need a longer test.The engine is definately quieter than it has ever been, sat on the driveway & revving the engine is quite sweet compared to previous.

Ill update more after some more of my usual drives for comparison.

Thanks to everyone for their input which was pretty accurate.

Cheers

Fras

Glad to hear you got things sorted out...or so it seems...so far. Wouldn't want this to happen to my GL, but if it does, I know where to look.

Cheers chaps,

Im pleased to say that i did a proper cold start 1st gear pull away this morning & there was none of the chapping that i've had since new.

I've been a victim of the reviews saying how noisy the engine was & taken this chapping as normal all this time.

The power delivery is also much more spread out & further through the rev range so it seems that my intermittent power fault may well have been due to this issue, a bit of a shame as i did report it to skoda but because it was potentially all in my mind & there were no fault codes coming up it has taken complete failure to get it sorted.

Congrats on getting the car sorted.

At least you can enjoy the car now without the worry & you have had a spanking new dpf & cat which usually last about 80k before needing replacement.

Hope your mpg gets to what you would expect from this type of car and also the power band has lengthened out as well which helps immensely although you do need to stir the box a fair bit to keep the engine spinning in the power band as it is gutless up to 1650rpm ish.

Apparently the 1.2tdi's can now be tuned/chipped to about 95bhp and more or less the same torque as the 1.9tdi pd so saving pennies now.

http://www.tdi-tuning.co.uk/car_and_van_diesel_tuning_boxes/skoda/fabia/12_tdi_cr_74_bhp__75_ps__55_kw/crtd2_diesel_tuning_box_skoda_fabia_12_tdi_cr_74_bhp_75_ps_55_kw_P2198.html

http://www.amdtuning.com/product.details.cfm?ProductID=11114&VariantID=1292&ReferenceID=106623

http://www.tuning-chip.co.uk/chip-tuning-skoda-fabia-12-tdi-cr-75-hp-diesel/chips-tuning-diesel-skoda-fabia-12-tdi-cr-75-hp-kit-performance.html

cheers,

Andy

Cheers Andy, well you know what, my plan had been to be sensible when i bought the Greenline & i said so long as it was reliable i would keep it & run it into the ground but i've always wanted something a bit sportier & the engine problem was the last straw.

Im sure the engine will be fine for a long time now but the seed of doubt is there now & the fact that it happened on a big journey while towing a trailer with the bike just really annoyed me so im trading it in for a monte estate in september.

If i had kept the car then the tdi tuning box would have been my next move when the warranty ran out in april because just a little bit more power would have been nice at times.

Like you say the new cat and dpf will be good for many more miles so someone will get the benefit of that.

Thanks

Fras

Thanks from me too, Andy. I've been looking into tuning as well, albeit I cannot really complain about my 70mg fuel economy, only about the torqueless engine. Anyway, in this neck of the woods Skoda comes with a 5-year or 60000 miles warranty, and based on my mileage that is still two years into the future before I can start to think about tuning. Besides that warranty, there's also a 24/7 mobility guarantee, i.e. roadside or tow truck assistance with unlimited mileage even after the 5-year warranty period as long as I keep my service intervals at at a Skoda garage (and as long as I don't tune my engine), so I think I'll be better off without. We'll see.

• 6 years later...