Oil Filter O rings - 1.2HTP engine

When I buy a (Mann) Oil Filter, it comes with a new large O ring (Item 15 in pic below), the old one which never seems in bad condition anyway.

After doing many oil changes, its suddenly struck me whether I should be changing the 2 other smaller O rings (items 16 and 17 in the pic). Do these come with a genuine Skoda filter? Or do Skoda Techs change these smaller O rings at an oil service?

post-51821-0-29497700-1375037892_thumb.gif

Hello xman,

Yes indeed, these seals should be changed each filter change. They come with every genuine Skoda filter. These help maintain your oil pressure and over time can fail if not replaced. They become more fragile due to heat degradation and can break during refitting. However, if you have been handling everything fairly carefully and not stressing these seals during the filter change the chances of a problem are not very great so if everything is ok (quickly extinguishing oil light on the dash at start up) then just change them at the next filter change. But it's up to you of course. It's easy to do, so you could change them anytime easily enough I guess.

Thanks for your reply.

I have never seen pics of even original filters with anything but the large O ring and there is a hint on the schematic that only item 15 is suppled with the oil filter (item 14).

So I decided to phone my friendly part manager at the local Skoda dealer. He kindly went and examined their stock and confirmed the filters only come with the large O ring. He checked his parts inventory and order history and also confirmed that they have never had or ordered the small O rings, so they are not changed as part of any service.

He did say he can get them, either as seperate items or complete with the plastic filter housing.

Although I've never had any problem (apart from a mysterious gurgling sound heard only once immediately after an oil change/first spin at 130,000 miles on the MK 1) I'm inclined to think about changing them every 4th or 6th service or so, as you say they must deteriorate with age/refitting.

Good, that's interesting info from you both. My diesel and my 1.6 16v both have the extra two seals so if the 1.2 doesn't then no problem. I'd assumed that the 1.2 htp would have them as per the 1.2 Polo which I'd serviced not long ago. No need to be concerned then. Enjoy your car...