dose any one know if polo gti rods from a 1.6 16v arc lump, will fit a 1.6 aee motor? i believe aee rod length is 144mm but that is all i know 

The centre to centre length is 138mm on the avy/arc connecting rods, I can't honestly think of any reason why you would want to use them either. What is it you are trying to achieve?

thanks for the reply tom, i was led to believe the rods were the week point in the aee and if the arc rods were stronger and fit, they would be a cost effective alternative. i am building an aee with a target between 100-120bhp but i have a direct port nitrous system to go on it with the aim of taking it to 150-170bhp and i doubt stock rods will take it.

you can use the 1.8t rods, they are the same width and end to end length, but the small end bush is larger, so you could re-bush them to the correct size, the only potential dwn side is that they aren't drilled internally with an oil way like the 1.6 aee rods are.

I've proven that the standard oem clutch is more than capable of holding up to over 130bhp for daily abuse.. Ironically it was the release bearing that popped on mine rather than the pressure plate itself, so when I pulled it apart I whacked a new release bearing in and did another 30k miles on the same standard clutch with 130bhp churning out.

great, on that basis it will more than suffice my daily driving and should withstand the nitrous, i will leave looking for alternatives till it starts to slip, if i don't run into other problems before then.

i need a new throttle body as i have issues with the tp sensor on this one, i was going to get a new one as ive already changed it once in the last 6 months, do you know of any OE alternatives that may be a better replacement

no sorry, you are going to be stuck with the oem throttle body, sadly the 60mm one from the 1.4 16v engine won't fit on there. It may be possible to bore out the throttle to a larger size and fit a bigger throttle plate in the standard throttle though..

I'm not sure if I like the idea of nitrous oxide, it doesn't make your vision go all blurry and rocket the car away into the distance like it does on that film you know.. I've fitted a few nitrous systems and usually the owner is really underwhelmed by it all because they are expecting that 'whoosh'

haha, nor do i have 17 gear and i can't make a 10 second drag race last for 2 minutes.

I will be running direct port injection (a little overkill, but you can't guarantee an even distribution with a manifold like that) and a controller, so there won't even be a noticeable torque spike. i see nitrous as the most cost effective route, as i am after a reliable, everyday 100-120hp with upto 170 when i want it without the added fuel costs of a bigger/lary motor, and i also prefer the stock look

Lpg and nitrous? I think you need to start a project thread, we need to know more about this!

• Like 1

i think i will, i don't plan on spending any real money on it, its all just time and blueprinting. i have all the nitrous stuff, the biggest outlay will be a set of 1.8t rods but they are cheep. im thinking of putting a sniff of gas on it next week, with the motor that's in just to liven it up till the new motor is built, i could do with a motor with less miles, but i will measure the bores and pistons to see if they are good enough.