Head lamp washers help please

Hi I have a superb 2.5 auto 2005.

My head lamp washers have failed the mot due to not working have checked the fuses all ok. Pipe is connected but have put a tester on the wires to the motor in the screen wash bottle and seems to be intermittent is there a timer relay that would cause this or is it down to the stalk on the stearing wheele?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Richard.

I have no idea but sometimes frustration hides the obvious so please dont be offend by comment.

I know mine work when main lights are on, but do they work with just side lights?  Maybe headlights need to be on as per normal night time driving.

Don't they just work on water pressure - so keeping your windscreen washers on for a few seconds and the water pressure pushes the jets out from the headlamps?

Could be a manual problem with the jets not deploying away from the headlamp unit.

Gaz

Hi Gaz

Your right about the pressure side of it but its the power going to the pump that's the problem.

Checked the motor that works fine but power to the pump donsnt last more than a second.

Richard.

There are two pumps; a lower pressure one for the windscreen washers and a higher pressure one for the headlamp washers.  I don't think the burst to the high pressure one lasts very long at all.  On my car with the lights on you have to have held the washer for a couple of seconds before it clicks in the headlamp washer.

I had an issue with the washers on mine.  I had switched from the VW screenwash to Lidl's own (German made, supposedly for fan jets).  Anyway, the headlamp washers stopped coming out and even once I'd rid of all the Lidl screen wash I had air in the system and had to prime it it seemed.  Only ever put the VW concentrate in now and not had a problem since.

Anyhow, a guy with similar fault description to yours; it was his pump:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/68-b5-garage/316557-headlight-washer-fault-finding.html

There is mention of the relay numbers here:

http://www.ukpassats.co.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36361&p=278735

• 3 years later...

Headlight washer failed NCT (MOT) due headlight washer not working.

Found pump faulty and replaced but did not cure as washers did not extend fully. 

Blew out pipe work still the same.

Replaced relay 192 as thought it was not running long enough (about 1 second), still not working.

Substituted plastic piping and no different but noted air bubbles in tubing even though I thought I had bled system.

Put system back together and bled system by

1/ removing driver side hose at light and letting water flow freely then reconnecting.

2/ Same as above for pax side.

3/ Pulling driver side jets out and using piece of wood (about 2 1/2 ") to keep it extended and letting water flow for a while from nozzles.

3/ Same for pax side.

Tested system and it worked properly.

Fault I think was air in the system compressing and would not allow water to extend the actuators fully, if they do not extend fully they will not spray water.

• Like 2