Rear bumper fouling on tailgate

amorts

Hi All,

New to this forum but looks like a good resource.

I have an unusual problem with my Fabia estate. After leaving it in a airport car park for a week I noticed paint flaking along the bottom of the tailgate. My assumption is someone drove into the car, although there is no evidence of this.

On further inspection I've found that the tailgate is catching the top of the bumper everytime it is opened and closed. There is an evenly spread faint mark across the entire top section of the bumper.

As the paint has now started to flake off the first signs of rust have appeared so I am keen to fix this.

I am sure I could find a bumper removal guide somewhere but once I have the bumper off I am not sure how difficult a repair this may be. From what I have described does anyone have any idea what may have happened to cause this problem?

I'll look to post some photos in the next couple of days.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

The reason seems to be obvious from your description.

The rear of the car collided with something or something collided with it.

Pushed it up.

Once the Bumper is removed, it may just be Deformed Mounting on the Plastic of the bumper,

lets hope so, if it was a low speed impact no damage should have been done to the Mounting on the cars metalwork.

I would be tempted not to remove the bumper yet.

Cheapest and best if not, incase you break the plastic while trying to straighten it.

If you do not fancy trying yourself, maybe ask at a body shop.

But since you are doing your own paint work you might give it a try.

Some careful use of applying weight to the top of the bumper might get it back in alignment.

If the bumper needs to come off, the Body Shop might just gently heat the mounting point and realign.

(EG Gently forcing the bumper down by standing on it.)

Sorry that this is not very technical but it does sometimes work.

Not jumping on it, but easing it down.

george

• Like 1

It's as George says, very likely someone has leaned on your bumper,probably with their 4x4 :devil: . All it takes is for some clown to mis judge and let your bumper take the weight of their vehicle. The composite material the bumper is made of will deform and spring back and if it's just done slowly but with full weight it might not even mark the paint but very likely bend the mounting straps, thus throwing the bumper out of line.

Personally it would be a trip to a good body shop for me, but then I wouldn't have the confidence to do it myself. Good luck. :thumbup: