Car Resale Value vs Mileage?

student91

Hi all,

(Apologies if this is the wrong subforum!) I bought a ~96k mile 2010 Fabia for just under 4k which was a good price, but I've been thinking about resale values relating to the big mileage numbers. Is there a significant drop after the 100k mark, e.g. versus a car at 99k? I'm thinking that most used car searches like on Autotrader or on Ebay etc. people often just stick it in as a filter, and there might be some stigma attached to the 6 digits - but does it practically affect the price?

If it does affect, I may consider selling at a similar/higher price now (and getting something with less mileage and selling that just before 100k). If it doesn't then I'll probably hang on to it a couple years until ~130k miles and sell before a more costly service e.g. cambelt change. To be honest, the latter option is more appealing to me because I really do like my Fabia :-( and I'm quite fussy with expensive purchases!

You are brave. I always sell my cars once they reach 80,000 miles maximum. To be honest despite the relatively young age, £4K seems a lot for a small car with 96K miles.

Changing a car is the most expensive thing you can do. You bought a 3 year old car for ¢4k. You won't make money selling it now, better to keep hold of it like you say.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

From your other posts Student91 it sounds like you got a good car. A high milage doesn't necessarly mean that the car will be unreliable especailly given that for the age/ milage it will probably have been sat on the motorway most of its life so should be run in nicely and may have less issues that a car of the same age with a very low mileage.

Unfortunatly mileage does seem to affect the value of cars as sometimes people think that once past 100k miles that a car has had it but most will probably do another 100k miles without any issues provided they are serviced and looked after properly. My uncle used to specifically look for high mileage cars especially Lexus/. toyota etc as they were cheap but bullet proof he brought a Lexus GS with 125k and when he got rid of it it had 250k on the clock and never missed a beat think he only lost a few grand on it over 4 years.

However as you have already got the vehicle for a low price due to high mileage I doubt you'd loose too much more. If I were you and you like the car I'd keep it a few years and if you don't want to change the cambelt think about swapping it then.

Hope it helps

David

From currently looking at Autotrader (Polo / Lupo) the six digit barrier seems to matter little to the value of the cars on offer. I suppose its a factor that is changing all the while, long gone are the days when a car was ready for scrap at 100,000. Though in your case you've bought under market value, when you come to re-sell (dependent on mileage/ service/ condition) you'll not lose probably as much as you'd have thought.