End of ownership report

andyfr

Well after 26,000 miles we decided to change the Fabia so thought I would give our thoughts over the 4 years we had it.

Replacements:

• Front tyres at around 20,000 miles.
  • Brakes have been fine but had to have the disks and pads replaced at 25,000 miles due to corrosions as we get a lot of salt on the roads up here in the Highlands!

Positives:

• Still quite solid feeling and only now starting to have those annoying little trim creaks.
  • Engine pulls very well in the mid-range but rather vocal.
  • Not needed to top up the oil in between services.
  • The cornering fog lamps have been very useful on the unlit country roads but I would have liked a switch to turn them off when not needed.
  • Alloy wheels stayed in good condition. I have had cars which show signs of the alloys bubbling after only two years.
  • Fair residual when we changed it as it was in excellent condition overall.

Negatives:

• The MPG has been disappointing. Over our daily 15 mile each way commute it was three years before we reached 50 MPG. The best we got was 55 MPG and that was on the 500 mile journey to part exchange it.
  • The seats for us were fine on our normal short journey but started to get uncomfortable on any trip over 50 miles, just too hard!
  • The Ice Alert was too loud and really annoying I know it’s a safety feature but most other cars have a snowflake which flashes on the dashboard and that is adequate.
  • Without doubt the worst thing about the car and why we changed now rather than waiting another year is the heater. The Climatic heater is the most frustrating heater I have ever known. We set it at 16 degrees but it blasts out hot air at over 28 degrees and then cools down once the car is full of hot air. Now I know it's too much to expect it to work like the climate control on my car which is set at 19 degrees all year round and gradually warms the car up to this temperature, but it really drives us mad. We have to keep turning it to cold for a second but then we get really cold air which then gradually warms and warms then gets hotter and hotter until we have to turn it off again.

I have seen similar comments on an Audi forum about the Climatic system so it seems it’s not just Skoda but all VAG cars with the same system.

You are probably wondering what we changed it for. We got a new Toyota Auris Icon 1.4 Diesel.

Anyway, I hope my post doesn't come across as too critical, that's not my intention.

Regards

Edited by andyfr

500 mile trip to exchange it....you must be right up in sticks! 

i lived in Kinloss (along from Inverness) and to get home it was 700ish mile drive (Kinloss to Dover) so you must of been travelling from thurso to Edinburgh/Glasgow?

Good review and sum up of your car. 

stick around and let us know how the new Auris compares to the old fabia

always good to compare and find out about other makes good and bad points,

how did the auris compare on price and spec to a new fabia?

one thing I noticed was my greenline has a normal heater control not the one you had (had that in my roomster and swmbo's mk1 vrs and both gave the issues you mention)

I think they got bored of replacing the flap motors that control the air temp

Edited by bluecar1

First impressions are very favourable. Much quieter, a smoother ride and did over 63 MPG on the journey home. The Auris is a bit larger so in the next segment up and the spec we went for is the Icon which has automatic climate control.  :happy:  :happy:  :happy: This means that it was a few grand more than a top of the range Fabia but we feel it's worth it. An added bonus is that Toyota give a five year warranty.

whats the max mileage on the 5 year warranty ? 100,000miles?

as the extended warranty we got on the wife's citigo at the weekend was basic 3 years 60,000 miles + 2 additional years (taking it to 5 years ) with total 100,000 miles

did you get any other toys you did not have on the fabia?

Yes it's 100,000 miles although as we only do about 8,000 a year in each car that's not really a concern.

Regarding toys, well it's got a reversing camera, Bluetooth connection for phone and music files, DAB radio with USB for music files, steering wheel controls for audio, phone and on-board computer. That all important automatic climate and an armrest with a cubby underneath. I'm sure there are things I've missed off or have yet to find.

Not sure why you never got more than 55mpg in the fabia. I struggle to get less than 50 around town or 63mpg on the long haul dual carriageways. Prehaps its as you only do 8000 miles a year? Short journeys? 8000 miles isnt enough to get the full benefit from a diesel. I would have to agree with the fabia seats though. They need more side support, as in the monte has.

The difference in MPG could be because it's a lot more hilly up here than in MK.  :)  My car does around 35 MPG and that's a Freelander automatic which is about right, my previous car was a CRV manual and that averaged 43 MPG so I don't think it's down to driving style. My car also only does 8,000 miles a year and used more in winter. I think that we just got a bad Fabia. It was the heater that really did it for us.

Nice car the Auris  comfortable and reliable.

As for comparisons, it won't really mean that much as you are comparing the Fabia which is listed at roughly £7500 -£12,000 with a car that is listed at approx £14,500 to £25,000.

• Like 1

Nice car the Auris  comfortable and reliable.

As for comparisons, it won't really mean that much as you are comparing the Fabia which is listed at roughly £7500 -£12,000 with a car that is listed at approx £14,500 to £25,000.

You are absolutely right of course, apples and oranges. The only reason I made any mention is because I was asked to comment on the comparison.

• Like 1