changing dsg gearbox oil

I am in the process of purchasing an 2007 model Skoda Octavia 2.0 tdi dsg estate.The garage have informed me that the gearbox oil has not been changed and the car has done 73k miles from new.They are ordering parts and will change the oil and microfilter before we pick the car up on this Thursday.Is there anything I need to check when driving the car home?

Many thanks for your answers.

It should have been changed every 40k miles. No time limit.

Are they selling it as full service history?

Just make sure the box is changing property and no jerky movements at low speeds.

Phil

Although it's not ideal that it hasn't had a dsg oil change, I have heard of some of these boxes never having a fluid change in their lives!

As Phil says you shouldn't really have much perception of the transmission working. You'll notice gear changes but it should operate smoothly and not be jerky.

thankyou both for your replies.we pick the car up sometime tomorow.am really looking forward to it it's our first automatic.anyway the garage sold it to us as full main dealers service history,but my local mechanic said that the gearbox oil must be changed every 40k miles and given a reciept for this seperate from the service book.the oil and the microfilter is being changed before we pick the car up.Just one question ...how many gears does it have..it's the 2.0litre dsg box?

They can't sell it as having full service history if it has missed a gear oil change as per the manufacturer recommendations.

It will probably be fine but just something to note.

This was our first 'auto' and we love the 6 speed DSG!

Phil

We mainly do town driving with the odd long trip (going to Germany for two weeks tomorrow).

Normally we get 45mpg just doing town driving (about 40mpg in winter due to long warm up times).

On an A road run we get about 55-60mpg depending on conditions then a motorway run at 70mph usually sees about 50-55mpg with 2 adults and a full boot.

We're happy with that as it's more than we ever got out of my old Felicia, the old Pug 306 1.9D and about the same as we were getting from the Cordoba PD130... but with more comfort and relaxed driving.

The DSG really helps smooth out the 1.9 PD engine too.

Phil

It uses special VAG oil, available from the Dealer or TPS. Part number G052182A2. 

You need 6 liters for a change and it is around £12 a litre, plus a new filter about £12. It's not an easy DIY job as you need a special rig to fill it along with diagnostic equipment to do do it properly.   

All this assuming it is a 6 speed DSG. The 7 Speed DSG are good for life.   

Edited by booke23

What oil does the DSG gearbox take ?. Picking up my new car tomorrow (New to me anyway) and I just wondered as it is slightly over the 40,000 mile recommendation.

Get it from your dealer. It's specific DSG gear oil.

Phil

It uses special VAG oil, available from the Dealer or TPS. Part number G052182A2. 

You need 6 liters for a change and it is around £12 a litre, plus a new filter about £12. It's not an easy DIY job as you need a special rig to fill it along with diagnostic equipment to do do it properly.   

All this assuming it is a 6 speed DSG. The 7 Speed DSG are good for life.   

Aparantly it can be done without all the fancy gizmos etc.

Best way to do it to get the gearbox warm with a run.

Drain oil through bottom. Measure ammount of oil taken out.

Warm up your new oil slightly and use the filter hole to refill the box rather than the fancy VAG tool.

Phil

I wasn't aware it was possible to fill via the filter housing. 

Might consider this when mine is due. I have vcds, so can do the 'monitoring the oil temperature' bit. It is just the fill part that is tricky.......I guess as long as you are methodical about cleanliness and don't get any dirt in the filter housing it would work well.