Engine oil for Octavia 2005 TDI 1.9

Hi,

I am new to all of this and I am really struggling to understand what oil type my Octavia 1.9 TDI needs. I have read countless articles/posts and they just made me more confused. I want to maintain the service book so I plan to service the car once a year. According to the official manual: 

1.9 l/77 kW TDI PD VW 505 01
1.9 ltr./77 kW TD PD DPF VW 507 00

but when I search for those oils online they are usually referred as 5W30 or 5W40 - what does it mean?

You need VW 505.01 oil for fixed servicing in the 1.9 tdi. 

You can use VW 507.00, but it is for variable servicing and cars with DPF's, and is over spec for a 1.9 tdi on fixed servicing. The main thing is to look for oils that conform to the VW standard rather than the viscosity. 

If you go to a dealer they will sell you this stuff  http://www.vwspares.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1354 It's made specially for VW group cars and is all you'll ever need. 

As you probably know, it's very important not to play russian roulette with oil in a PD engine. You can easily damage cam lobes with the wrong oil. 

Edited by booke23

Thanks,

If I can't get the Quantum Platinum 5W-40, can I use Castrol Edge 5W-40 Turbo Diesel instead?

http://direct.asda.com/Castrol-Edge-5W-40-Turbo-Diesel-Engine-Oil---4L/001029421,default,pd.html

Many thanks for the response!

According to the link it meets 505.01, so yes.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Thanks,

If I can't get the Quantum Platinum 5W-40, can I use Castrol Edge 5W-40 Turbo Diesel instead?

http://direct.asda.com/Castrol-Edge-5W-40-Turbo-Diesel-Engine-Oil---4L/001029421,default,pd.html

Many thanks for the response!

That Castrol is in the 4 litre size.

I use Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 in my 55 reg 1.9PD, and Eurocarparts have a sale on at the moment.

If you use their promo code - OILBONANZA30, you can get 5 litres of the above for £37.09.

Andy

That Castrol is in the 4 litre size.

I use Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5w30 in my 55 reg 1.9PD, and Eurocarparts have a sale on at the moment.

If you use their promo code - OILBONANZA30, you can get 5 litres of the above for £37.09.

£37!!! (spits tea out over laptop) 

I stick to Quantum for £24.30 for 5 litres.  

You can use VW 507.00, but it is for variable servicing and cars with DPF's, and is over spec for a 1.9 tdi on fixed servicing.

Out of interest, are there any potential advantages in using this 'over spec' oil, perhaps in terms of turbo life?

Out of interest, are there any potential advantages in using this 'over spec' oil, perhaps in terms of turbo life?

I think the main difference between the two formula is that 507 has low ash content (good for DPF's) so I suspect it wouldn't have an impact on turbo life.

Additionally, the main failure mode on PD turbos seem to be sooting up causing sticking vanes and perhaps ultimately unbalancing the turbo, resulting in failure......again oil would have no impact on this type of failure.    

• 2 weeks later...