Powerflex dogbone mount

One of the twins has a bad wobble under load. I'm thinking of replacing the dogbone mount for the powerflex one:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Front+Engine+Mount+Dog+Bone+%28Diesel%29/1819.html

I'm a bit confused by what is shown in the picture here though as it doesn't look like a dogbone mount! Is it just the bushes? How easy are they to fit to the original dogbone?

Forgive my ignorance - new to this kind of car DIY!

No it doesn't come with bolts. Some folk will tell you to replace the 2 subframe bolts as they are stretch bolts, probably a good idea but I didn't bother and haven't had any issues on the Octy or my old lcr.

One thing I would advise though is spray the bolts a few times with penetrating oil in the run up to doing the job, my lcr bolts came out no problem but on the Octy 2 of the buggers snapped and a 20 minute job turned into an all nighter

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 4

One of the twins has a bad wobble under load. I'm thinking of replacing the dogbone mount for the powerflex one:

http://www.powerflex.co.uk/road-series/product-details/Front+Engine+Mount+Dog+Bone+%28Diesel%29/1819.html

I'm a bit confused by what is shown in the picture here though as it doesn't look like a dogbone mount! Is it just the bushes? How easy are they to fit to the original dogbone?

Forgive my ignorance - new to this kind of car DIY!

The dogbone mount is the metal mounting bracket that is bolted to the car, between gearbox and subframe Those pics show just the bushes that go into the metal mount. As the bushes are replaceable most folks just replace bushes not whole mount. Is a easy job to do and can take 30 min 

std black OEM mount removed from Dogbone

20121101_123014.jpg

pic of replaced bushes

20121103_131259.jpg

There are 4 bolts holding dogbone to car 

N10246604 dogbone to gearbox gearbox bolt short

N90597001 dogbone to gearbox bolt longer

N10268302 dogbone to subframe bolts x 2 (these are stretch bolts and uneconomical not to replace at a few quid.  They snap as should be only used once as they over stretch and snap when being undone)  

• 1 month later...

So I installed the diesel powerflex dogbone bushes. Unfortunately there is lots of cabin vibration. Have I done something wrong? I forgot to use the lube but I can't see that making so much difference? I've given it a few weeks to bed in but it hasn't improved much.

Thinking I should just get stock Skoda bushes - is it possible to get just the bushes or does it have to be a whole mount?

So I installed the diesel powerflex dogbone bushes. Unfortunately there is lots of cabin vibration. Have I done something wrong? I forgot to use the lube but I can't see that making so much difference? I've given it a few weeks to bed in but it hasn't improved much.

Thinking I should just get stock Skoda bushes - is it possible to get just the bushes or does it have to be a whole mount?

You probably have not given it long enough or enough miles buddy. How far have you driven car.

Also it does depend on how much you have torqued the center bolt that clamps down on the bushes as too tight will compress the bushes and make it hard. You should of greased as although no difference to the vibration will stop squeaking.

The diesel dogbone bush is quite severe as even harder than the petrol one, so if it does not get better in  the next week i would say it is not going to get and better and go fit a yellow powerflex bush instead..

So is that different to the 4 actual subframe bolts ?

eh..... what you going on about Lloyd..

The dogbone is nothing to do with the subframe bolts. Don't need to change them when doing dogbone buddy.

I thought the diesel one was supposed to be softer to reduce the vibration? It must have had at least 700 miles on it now and while the vibration reduced a bit, it is still there and very annoying. Want to get it sorted ASAP now as want to sell the car as just picked up a Seat Ibiza for SWMBO.

Thinking about getting a cheapo mount from ECP. Not sure if they include the bolts though? Didn't bother changing them last time but think I will this time round having seen some horror stories about snapped bolts.

Anyone know what size bolts I should be getting?

I thought the diesel one was supposed to be softer to reduce the vibration? It must have had at least 700 miles on it now and while the vibration reduced a bit, it is still there and very annoying. Want to get it sorted ASAP now as want to sell the car as just picked up a Seat Ibiza for SWMBO.

Thinking about getting a cheapo mount from ECP. Not sure if they include the bolts though? Didn't bother changing them last time but think I will this time round having seen some horror stories about snapped bolts.

Anyone know what size bolts I should be getting?

Look up in the thread buddy I posted part numbers. Get the proper dealer stretch bolts. The diesel bush I though was stiffer due to the heavier gearbox/engine combination.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Red TDI one is softer than the yellow one Bowders1, that's why I opted for it as I've read lots of story's regarding the yellow one.

Probably got it tightened up too much, if it's the same after 4-500 miles take it back off and loosen the centre bolt off a bit as others have said :)

Red TDI one is softer than the yellow one Bowders1, that's why I opted for it as I've read lots of story's regarding the yellow one.

Probably got it tightened up too much, if it's the same after 4-500 miles take it back off and loosen the centre bolt off a bit as others have said :)

That makes sense buddy then. I opted for superpro as they are little softer than the yellow power flex one. Mind you I also have front dogbone mount super pro poly bushed as well and THS engine and gearbox uprated mounts.

Sent from my Samsung S3

• 2 years later...

Hi, Can someone please tell me where on earth (or online) I can order these replacement bolts.  I can find them anywhere!!! and don't have a main dealer nearby that i can get them from.

Also just wondering my 1.4mpi vibrates pretty badly when idling just wondering if fitting the powerflex bush is going to make matters much worse?  There seems to be many varying report in the forum.  Perhaps i would be better going for an OEM which seems to have a little more "give"?

Also I managed to stripped the threads on the bolt that connects the dog bone to the subframe when i was working on the car last week (so it just spins wont get any tighter or looser) .  Don't suppose anyone has any tips on how i would go about getting this out other than dropping the subframe followed by grinding and hacking.  Would heating the bolt expand it enough to allow me to get a few turns and therefore past the threads that are stripped on the bolt.

Many Thank

Geiles, this is the octavia section rather than the fabia section. 

Vibration could be two things, if you have shot bushes then the engine might me moving undue amounts. If you have bushes which are overtightened or track spec then yes a lot of vibration can be heard in the cabin, I liken my polybushed dogbone to having a noise somewhat like a boat engine running when at idle. 

If the car is unmodified just go with OEM. For the octy you can buy a whole new dogbone for £25, I imagine the fabia is not much different. You can get the stretch bolts from any VAG dealer, Volkswagen, Skoda, Seat.