Off Road Button

Truthseeker

Had one on my first 140 4x4 but never really used it so didn't bother when I got my new one. Far better to put the money towards a decent set of winter tyres IMHO. (and I live in the far North of Scotland so perhaps a bit more experience of severe weather than most posters).

• Like 1

Have to disagree, if you are confronted with a slippery icy or snowy downhill slope the hill descend function will mean you do not have to touch the brakes to make a controlled and safe descend. Remember that even 4x4 does not help with braking.

Downhill Drive Support and Start-Off Assist certainly function as described on ice/compacted snow.  DDS can be very reassuring on a steep, icy hill.  The tweaks to the other systems are less obvious, the off-road mode ABS being the one you are most likely to notice.  I can't see how any of them can hurt.

If it's choice between a set of winter tyres or the Off-Road button then the winter tyres provide a greater benefit in icy conditions.  However, the Off-Road button functions in combination with winter tyres make things even less lary than winter tyres alone when things get dicey.

Given that the Off-Road button costs about the same as one decent winter tyre - and never wears out, unlike a tyre - I'd almost say why not get it?

(On the other hand: since AIUI the Off-Road button is basically a software function, I believe I've seen suggestions that it can be activated through VCDS.)

• Like 1

Can,t disagree with either of the previous two posters.Was really trying to suggest that the off road button is no substitute for winter tyres. Of course it helps but in my opinion spend the money on an extra £25 per corner for really good winters-- but if you can afford both go for it

I think you realise now it is a no-brainer at £80.   :kiss:   Just tick the box.  And if like me you want a full row of buttons down there tick the Park Assist option box and the tyre pressure monitor box too whilst you're at it.   :rofl:

• Like 1