Winter wheels & tyres?

With the temperatures dropping and one of the snowiest winters in years being forecast how many people are looking at winter tyres? I've had them before on an MX-5 and they did make quite a considerable differance. Don't think my current set of winter wheels will fit the Rapid though and not sure I can justify another set of wheels and tyres, also as I have the Skoda option wheels the tyres are quite huge and expensive at 215/40R17

What's everyone else's thoughts?

That would be my plan but the problem is trying to keep the rolling circumference the same so as not it upset the speeo readings etc. I already have a set of winter wheels and tyres but as theses were for the Mazda I'd have to buy another set :(

• 2 months later...

I've the 16 inch wheels on my Rapid Elegance Greentech, but I've bought myself some 15 inch alloys and Nokian WR D3 195/55 R15 85H tyres. To be fitted early January. Will let y'all know how they are. Thought about the Michelin 185/60 R15 88H XL AO's but thought that they may be a little harsh. Any experiences out there? I had Maragoni's on my BMW and Pirelli's on my VW UP!...

Tim

***Update to earlier postings***

Decided to check out 16" VW/Skoda/Seat/Audi wheels on ebay & Gumtree etc. found a set of VW beetle alloys which just happen to be the exact same stud pattern and offset I'd need and all for £120 Swapped my 195/55R16H Dunlop Wintersport 4D tyres over from the Mazda steel wheels.

As the rolling circumference is slightly different I tried a wee experiment with the sat nav V's the speedo. With the normal wheels & tyres on the speedo was a tad optimistic (about 4-5MPH over reading) now with my slightly oversized winter wheels on the speedo is dead on, so I have to remember that as I'm driving along

Roll on the white stuff so I can see how the Rapid copes on its winter footwear.