Skoda Superb - Winter Tyres and Rims

doleawg

Hi,

I could pretend what i write next is on the basis of being blond but the reality is I am ginger and know naff all about cars. Its tragic but thankfully I never took a career in the motor trade.

I bought a Skoda Superb Estate (10 reg) last year to replace a Discovery. I was getting bored filled up every 15 miles.

I really like the Skoda but I hate the alloys, they are useless on the back roads where we live.

Definitely now want to replace out and put winters on. I have been advised that it is best to get 16 inch rims and that these would be ok?

Anyone care to agree/disagree or offer cheaper/better

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140687695106&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

Tyres is another matter anyone care to advise on a mid range winter tyre?

Thanks in advance.

Or get a set of rims/tyres complete from MyTyres

Click on the "Wheel and Tyre packages" in left hand menu.

They have alloy or steel rims.

I went for a set of steels fitted with Continental TS850 tyres 205/55 R16 for my Superb.

They work out at £148 per wheel plus £9.90 p and p so £635 all in delivered.

The tyres themselves are about £100 each at the cheapest places online so the rims are less than £50 each.

The tyres are quite pricey due to the 94 load rating on the Superb but the 850s are supposedly the best winter tyres going,in most of the reviews such as here in Auto Express

I considered alloys but steels are much better in the winter as the extra weight make the car more planted and they are stonger in pot holes and won't corrode in salt like alloys.

The wheels arrived in a week from Germany.

Then I bought these wheel trims.

Edited by Arsey

Arsey. Thanks for that. To be honest was hoping for a cheaper option more so on the rims, not worried about the look so happy to try and see if I can get a 2nd hand set of rims, will try for steels as you say over alloys,

Keep to around ET45 (16” are the smallest diameter that will go over the brakes) and you will be fine, loads to choose from, especially if you are not  too bothered about looks.

Personally I could not put steels on.

• 2 weeks later...

I considered alloys but steels are much better in the winter as the extra weight make the car more planted and they are stonger in pot holes and won't corrode in salt like alloys.

Hmmm, from what I've seen / read the steel wheels are more susceptible to corrosion than alloys...