Help! What is that little filter?

Panic! My 2.5TDI starting smelling of petrol, and upon inspection (and a little jiggling) it turns out that there was diesel spewing from the flexble hose just leading up to/from the injectors (in the very front of the engine). That pipe has a little in-line fliter-looking thing in-line, and one of it's connectors snapped right off!

Can somebody please tell me what that filter does, and how critical it is? Can I temporarily fit a straight pipe without it, until I get hold of the right part? Can I temporarily use a basic fuel filter from halfords?

Trying to find a Sunday solution, as I need the car on Monday morning :sweat:

Thanks

George

Raf_ you are probably right.

I managed to go to TPS today (VAG parts dealer in Milton Keynes). They looked it up, and thankfully had one in stock. Apparently it is a "Pressure Valve", on the return fuel line. £25 for the pleasure!

I am using the car at the moment without it in place, and it seems to be working fine. Fuel consumption is pretty much the same as before, but I'll put it back on of course.

I can't find any reference online to understand its function. Does anyone know what the purpose of it is? What does it actually do?

George