Noisy and Rough Handbrake

Hi all,

I dont know if you have been following my recent post where i mentioned pros and cons of my brand new octavia 1.2. There i mentioned an issue with my handbrake.

It was rough and noisy as if its hittng some metal part or dry.

Today I picked it up from the dealer and the service people told me that they called Skoda technical department and they mentioned that every thing is normal. They said that its a brand new brakes hence making the noise. I was bit surprised that it didnt make any noise for the first week and then suddenly it started it. They mentioned that give it another 1500 miles (done 1600 so far) and still if the noise is there then we can go back to Skoda.

I found it bit strange as I have never had any issue with any of my car's handbrake.

Please check the video and share your thoughts..

S

Thats exactly what i think but skoda thinks its a wear in process.

Strange.. Never mind, I am off to a road trip to Isle of Skye this week. I will hit 3K miles and if the noise is still there then I will head back to the dealer.

S

Sounds a bit like they haven't a clue so go away & hope it gets better.

Like a couple more members my offside wiper arm was striking the A pillar on intermittent so off I went to dealer. Tech came back to me & said he couldn't replicate the fault. The answer - try not to use the intermittent & if it does it again go back. Not been out in the rain since so will wait & see.

Like a couple more members my offside wiper arm was striking the A pillar on intermittent so off I went to dealer. Tech came back to me & said he couldn't replicate the fault. The answer - try not to use the intermittent & if it does it again go back. Not been out in the rain since so will wait & see.

Thats ridiculous. Why shouldn't we use the wiper on intermittent?? I hope we get these things resolved ASAP. I will keep you posted.

S

It sounds like the handbrake is rubbing the arm rest console.

Hard to tell exactly without actually pulling the lever myself.

Not that I'm offering lol :-)

Its just so frustrating. I just hope this noise goes away and i have a smooth handbrake.

FFS!! Is he seriously suggesting that the wiper motor bell crank gets longer in intermittant than in continuous? Or maybe that the offside wiper drive crank does?

If I were you, I'd ask around other members to see who has the most technically knowledgable dealer, based between where you are now and the isle of Skye, and drop in on your road trip and see if they can help you? ( the dealer that is, not the member!)

If I were you, I'd ask around other members to see who has the most technically knowledgable dealer, based between where you are now and the isle of Skye, and drop in on your road trip and see if they can help you? ( the dealer that is, not the member!)

That sounds like an idea!!

CHEERS FELLA

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 22/04/2023 at 02:18, JamesGornell said:

Just wondering how you went with the crunchy handbrake?

my mk3 Octavia has the exact same stiff/crunchy handbrake. 

Please help :D

Same issue here, mkiii crunchy handbrake, not sure where to start to resolve..

26 minutes ago, BMJ040 said:

not sure where to start to resolve..

Sorry to tell you but I actually sold my mk3 Octavia after a month.

My anxiety couldn’t handle what lay ahead with the complicated DSG7. 

Picked up a 2015 Mazda 6 estate. Slush box 6 speed auto with non turbo 2.0 petrol. Hopefully the simplicity treats me well. 

Edited by JamesGornell