Slight brake judder

VRade

Hello Guys

I installed 2 new front disks and mintex pads a few weeks ago and have had slight brake judder ever since.

Everything was cleaned up and greased. Hub faces were sanded down to be clean, sliders cleaned and copper greased, pad in contact with piston greased.

Low speeds so 10mph and less i feel the brakes gripping and letting off, and 70mph under medium braking i feel the car jerking a little.

Iv tried bedding them in lightly; light braking for 2 weeks and iv tried the 70mph to 10mph hard braking for a week in groups of 10 stops at a time then letting to cool.

Any idea's? 

Cheers

Ade

I've got a similar thing with mine at present. The fronts look almost new (only bought the car 2 weeks ago) but the rears need changing soon but I have very similar issues with mine.

I was going to go the route of a complete new setup all round even thought fronts are as new as it just doesn't feel right.

I know doesn't help you but the bits on mine look all oe from part nos and just seems they've warped :(

You wouldn't think they should warp that quickly no but I suppose it only takes a slight weakness in the discs and it can happen very early on in their usage.

We're I worked at a motor factors, wasn't the most common thing to happen but even the bigger names sometime get a faulty batch of discs and pads sometimes.

Then as you say could just be cheap pads giving issues.

Maybe first try another set of pads and if still there then it certainly points towards the discs or try and get the whole set exchanged as faulty warranty items and start fresh with others.

You wouldn't think they should warp that quickly no but I suppose it only takes a slight weakness in the discs and it can happen very early on in their usage.

We're I worked at a motor factors, wasn't the most common thing to happen but even the bigger names sometime get a faulty batch of discs and pads sometimes.

Then as you say could just be cheap pads giving issues.

Maybe first try another set of pads and if still there then it certainly points towards the discs or try and get the whole set exchanged as faulty warranty items and start fresh with others.

Think im going to check the disks over again, strip and rebuild it all over again, make sure the ABS reluctor rings and sensors are ok and give them a clean.

I bought the pads from my local motorfactors and they are mintex pads so they should be grand.

Probably the best bet before looking to spend anymore cash on replacements or trying to go down the warranty route.

If they are faulty though there should be no issue as the manufacturer will just replace the supplier with another matching set and will investigate and then destroy the originals once the fault reason found out.

Either way, with them only being a couple of weeks old you shouldn't have any issues if it turns out it is the brakes at fault. Just a pain in the backside having to keep doing it :(

Could it be that your wishbones bushes are worn? I'd say that was more likely than warped discs.

Good shout ill give them a wobble tonight after work, there is a distinct "clunk" when you stop suddenly from slow on the N/S/F

I've had the garage look at my wishbones and declare them find on several occasions - but when I've insisted on having them replaced all brake wobble has been cured.

• Like 1

I would think faulty discs from new is unlikely. Its possible but having done the job correctly including bedding in, it could be new discs and pads have hilighted a weak part somewhere else. Like mentioned, look at wishbone bushes then I would consider worn ball joints and even track rod ends.

I would think faulty discs from new is unlikely. Its possible but having done the job correctly including bedding in, it could be new discs and pads have hilighted a weak part somewhere else. Like mentioned, look at wishbone bushes then I would consider worn ball joints and even track rod ends.

Track rods were replaced 3 months ago, so were wheels bearings (Out of peace of mind)

Ill be checking wishbone bushes tonight,

The first few days after i fitted them i bedded in the pads with a few 40-10 stops to warm them up, then a few 60-10 stops to get them hot, a 400m drive to cool them off, and then finally 70-10 stops in a group of 5-10 and a 5min drive on no brakes.

the issue i have mainly is when im stopping in traffic say 10mph or less and i lightly press the brake pedal i can feel the brakes coming on then slightly letting off then coming on again even with constant brake pedal pressure.

Feels like a warped or mis-aligned disk, or the calipers rubbing really bad on one spot

the issue i have mainly is when im stopping in traffic say 10mph or less and i lightly press the brake pedal i can feel the brakes coming on then slightly letting off then coming on again even with constant brake pedal pressure.

Feels like a warped or mis-aligned disk, or the calipers rubbing really bad on one spot

To me your description does suggest a faulty disc in fairness. I will agree with others, its not common but its not unheard of and is totally possible as discs when new can be warped instantly if either stamped on too quickly and overheating or if weakened in the manufacturing process they will be faulty no matter what.

I think yours may be brakes mate, take them back and get them exchanged under warranty i you can buddy.

Iv had a few disks warp on me before but this is really weird.

High speeds it feels like ABS is kicking in, Low speeds it feels like the disk is warped so its hard to diagnose it properly

Iv had a few disks warp on me before but this is really weird.

High speeds it feels like ABS is kicking in, Low speeds it feels like the disk is warped so its hard to diagnose it properly

Mmm, bit strange but could it be possible if the disc is warped slightly that it could somehow interfere with the abs at higher speed braking or is it just feeling more abs related because of higher speed?

My Mg had warped discs after a few track days, didn't like the excess heat even after putting them through the cycles to get them all bedded in and upto temp. They were awful at speed, the pedal vibrated like a bugger and much worse at speed. Only kept those discs on for another week before changing as was driving me mad.

Check reluctor rings too just incase I suppose as suggested in an earlier post, symptoms can be very misleading as I've found out several times now.

I believe after you change the fluid and put the air outside your brake will be perfect

I guess it wont harm to do it.

Although i dont see how air could get in the system by doing a pad and disk change, unless you let the caliper drop and snap the brake hose.

I had new pagid front disks installed last year, and my car's just developed what I had assumed was just a brake-induced wobble... although reading through this thread has made me wonder if it's wishbone bushes or something else non-brake related. It happens about 50% of the time when braking lightly from over 60mph, and stops if I brake harder. Thoughts?