Just bought myself a Mazda 5 - Problems!

My_Yeti

Evening All,

Just bought a 1 owner Mazda 5 (2006, done 60k miles) last week as "hopefully" a stop / gap car until I get back into a Yeti...

Shortly after I bought it, I notice the car judders in first gear when slowly releasing the clutch with little throttle. This is driving me crazy, but it goes away when give it a little bit more throttle - such as one would do when driving out of a junction. So the main problem is very slow stop / start traffic.

I was stuck on the A5 today for about an hour, doing stop / start due to road closure and it has gotten progressively worse, to the point where I abandon going to London, knowing it might not make it through the London traffic...

I am hoping someone could help me identify what it is, it will be going into a garage tomorrow to have it checked over.

It's a 1.8 petrol...

Other symptoms are:

• When clutch pedal is pressed and realeased, it makies a squeaking noise (linkage?)
  • Clutch / car judders when releasing at low rev in first
  • When holding clutch, it is better - less judder
  • When release with some throttle - normal set off, it is fine
  • I can't hear any particularly strange noise from the engine compartment, the engine sounds the same with clutch pressed or released
  • This evening, when I drove back, the engine note changed, especially noticeable at 3,000 rpm (could only notice at slow speed).
  • There were 2 instances where changing from 1st to 2nd seemed to been "grinded" in, even when clutch is fully depressed.
  • When the clutch is released at idle in first, the car just glide along like normal.
  • When releasing in 1st then depress clutch again after short throttle, the engine seems to judder.

Grateful for your help - other than that, the car drives much much better than I expect from a 7 seater...

Thanks in advance!

Hi All,

Just an update.

Took it into Mr Clutch this morning, clutch biting point is OK, however judder is likely to be the springs in the clutch, which really bothers me and I suspect they disintegrating, so getting the whole thing done.