Fitting new rear calipers to VRS - help?

OU51

Hi, I want to fit replacement rear calipers to my car tomorrow but I've never really done any work on brakes before so know pretty much nothing about how to do this.  I found a post by Bowders  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/246642-what-size-flare-nut-spanner-for-rear-brake-calliper/?p=2894142 which helps, but I still have a couple more questions.   I have a socket and spanner set but no specalist tools....

I take it I need to buy an ezi-bleed kit?

I'm a bit worried if I disconnect the brake hose will the fluid come shooting out?

As the replacement calipers are brand new will I need a wind back tool (haven't got one of those either)?

Anything else I need to buy?

If anyone has any other tips or picture/video guides that would be great too - thanks!

1- you will need a means of bleeding the caliper if not ezi-bleed something similar

2- if you clamp the brake (flexi) flexible hose then very little will come out, nothing will shoot out it just dribbles.

3- no you wont need the wind back tool if the calipers are new.

4- if your fitting calipers you'll should fit new pads and you'll need some brake fluid.

Other than that it's not to bad to change calipers. 

Another question has come to mind - what fluid would a Skoda dealer have used when they changed the fluid last ime - I'm guessing DOT4?  I want to get the right type to top up with.

Edit - actually ignore - I'd read on google not to mix 4 and 5.1 but I think they meant 4 and 5.  I take it I can top up with dot4 OK?

Edited by OU51

Just fitted the new caliper....  Good news is that the squeak has gone and the handlebrake lever feels much smoother to apply now.

Only bad thing is that the brake pedal feels slightly softer now.  I can still get the ABS to come on if I press it hard, but it's definitely not quite as firm as before.  I did lose a bit of fluid when swapping the calipers but have bled it afterwards using an Ezi-bleed.

The fluid was only changed about a year ago anyway and so there's not much difference in colour.  I used about 100-150ml I'd guess and it was tricking out with no bubbles.  I'll keep an eye on the fluid level over the next few days but should I be worried?

hi, yes dot 5 fluid is silicon based and shouldn't be mixed with any other fluids, it's not ideal to mix any brake fluids but you can mix dot 4 and dot 5.1 fluids

it takes about than a half a litre to fill the entire clutch/braking hydraulic system from dry

if the pedal is soft it could be an airlock, there are 2 bleed nipples on the brake master cylinder on mk4 platform cars, plus sometimes you can get air trapped in the abs hydraulic unit if you are unlucky, pressure bleeding is the way forward, i've never had much luck with the ezi-bleed kits