Octavia Water Pump Failures 1.4 TSI

Hi

First post be gentle. My Octavia 2012 1.4 TSI has just had its second water pump replaced.  The first failed at about 7k miles and 15 months from brand new. Second pump has now just failed at 8.5k miles only three months later. Any ideas? Is this a common problem? Could there be a cause?

Thanks

Ali

Edited by TechieAli

Something not right there,it could just be a dodgy batch of water pumps,did the two leak coolant or the bearings fail & become noisey?  If it was poor workmanship id of expected them to fail well before 8.5k was covered. Welcome to the forum by the way!.  :)

First one became noisy then just started to leak as it was replaced (obviously it was fitted when the car was built), second one was just noisy (was fitted by skoda dealer under warranty). Could there be something wrong with the tension in the belt? causing early failure?

I replaced the coolant pump on my 1.4 TSI after 3 years and 7 months (27500 miles). It had been leaking slightly for the previous two or three months but was not unduly noisy. The requirement for an early replacement has been my only disappointment with the car thus far.

The drive belt is tensioned by an automatic tensioner.

Many thanks,

WACH

• 3 months later...

Interesting post this as a work colleague has a yeti 1.4tsi and is now on his THIRD water pump at just under 50,000 miles! One lasted just 12 months before it was making a noise again which led him to take it to the dealer for diagnosis. It got replaced just after Christmas. His driving style is very relaxed and it does a fair bit of motorway running as he travels from north London to Norfolk at least twice a week. I wonder what could cause these premature failures?!