cd player won't work.

Hi all, having problems trying to play cds in my 03 Octavia lately. It's the standard 6 disc changer and standard head unit. When you select cd it tries to play it then displays surface on the head unit. I have had the magazine out of the changer, replaced the cds in there, but am having no luck. Anybody else had this? Anything I can do or is it a new cd player?

Thanks in advance.

I had this when the wife put the cd's in the cartridge the wrong side up. Its basically telling you that its not able to read the discs, give it a go....................

If it helps...errors with CD players are, more usually than not - often to do with the laser. Both with car systems, and home systems too.

With car systems, the mechanisms etc. inside are usually pretty robust, however if the laser head gets dirty, then you will start to experience a world of problems. 

And in a few cases, it's the laser itself which requires replacing. However, this is pretty rare.

So normally, especially inside cars, what happens is the laser head's lense gets dirty. But it's fairly easy to clean.

Sometimes it can be done from the loading aperture - but more often than not, you'll have to get the screwdrivers out and dismantle the unit.

However, it's not normally too bad a job - it just requires a bit of patience, and a methodical approach. Get the unit out, have a good look at it - and unscrew the obvious screws holding it all together. When you think you have undone all the screws that you need to - carefully prise it apart, observing any resistance all he while in case there's something which will stop you from doing so / get damaged in the process.

Once you can see the laser head ( a pretty obvious little glass lense ) then get a cotton bud, soak it in some easily evaporating alcohol like lighter fluid, and give the lense a good clean with it. Then get another dry cotton bud and give it a good dry / wipe off.

I will lay a fiver on the fact that after doing this, you'll probably find it will work perfectly again.

Let us know! :D

• Like 1