Suzuki SX4 S Cross - Any good?

My_Yeti

I keep reading conflicting reports about he 9 speed gbox. Some love and say it's super smooth and swift, others say it dithers and can't make it's mind up. It's like they are talking about 2 different gearboxes? It does look like a Jeep though and definitely not like a Fiat 500X :) although the colours of the Fiat are much better imho.

Which model/spec/colour are you looking at Marie

Can't remember who asked but the 1.6 petrol engine in the S-Cross and new Vitara is the same unit (in a different state of tune) as that found in the Swift Sport. It performs well if you rev it, well mine does, although I prefer the torque and low rev pull of my old turbo 1.2 in the Yeti. Someone else mentioned size? My S-Cross is a longer car and has more useable space in it than my Yeti; the boot and rear legroom are noticeably better although it loses to the Yeti on headroom and boot height if you want to stand things up.

I can't see the space saver costing too much for the Vitara. It uses the same, albeit shortened, floorpan as the S-Cross and everything is recessed without the need for false boot floors or additional trim. 

Lady E, I haven't been to see the new Vitara yet, I will shortly, but how does the driving position compare to the S-Cross (have you sat in one?) and the Yeti? Do you feel noticeably higher up in the Vitara than the S-Cross? I miss the height of my Yeti and from what I have read the Vitara should go some way towards restoring that sense of adventure. I look forward to them introducing four wheel drive lower down the range.

At a Launch Day i drove a 1.4 Multiair Limited 9 Speed Auto 170 ps 4wd.

It maybe limited in availability, but ask a Jeep Dealer.

The 1.4 multiair was a fairly thirsty engine in the Bravo - a huge way behind the 1.4TSI we get on the O3.

I expect this is a new version, but I'd be very wary of fuel consumption when you add 4wd, Auto and a big unaerodynamic body.

I keep reading conflicting reports about he 9 speed gbox. Some love and say it's super smooth and swift, others say it dithers and can't make it's mind up. It's like they are talking about 2 different gearboxes? It does look like a Jeep though and definitely not like a Fiat 500X :) although the colours of the Fiat are much better imho.

Which model/spec/colour are you looking at Marie

1.4L petrol Limited in orange with a few extras 

Can't remember who asked but the 1.6 petrol engine in the S-Cross and new Vitara is the same unit (in a different state of tune) as that found in the Swift Sport. It performs well if you rev it, well mine does, although I prefer the torque and low rev pull of my old turbo 1.2 in the Yeti. Someone else mentioned size? My S-Cross is a longer car and has more useable space in it than my Yeti; the boot and rear legroom are noticeably better although it loses to the Yeti on headroom and boot height if you want to stand things up.

I can't see the space saver costing too much for the Vitara. It uses the same, albeit shortened, floorpan as the S-Cross and everything is recessed without the need for false boot floors or additional trim. 

Lady E, I haven't been to see the new Vitara yet, I will shortly, but how does the driving position compare to the S-Cross (have you sat in one?) and the Yeti? Do you feel noticeably higher up in the Vitara than the S-Cross? I miss the height of my Yeti and from what I have read the Vitara should go some way towards restoring that sense of adventure. I look forward to them introducing four wheel drive lower down the range.

The 1.6 petro Vitara is the 120ps engine and seems to be 99% the same as the Cross.

The space saver was rumoured to be around £300 with kit. I laughed and the dealer said they hadn't finalised the pricing of it, but it was such an audacious price he mentioned I think there must be an expensive grain of truth to it.

The Vitara is a little bit higher up, but definitely not as high as my Grand Vitara. I guess the Yeti is very slightly higher again the Vitara, although again, not the Grand Vitara. it doesn't feel particular compact when you are driving it as it is a tad wider and higher than the Cross, but I think you will notice the boot difference. Also when you pop the seats down, the Cross wins quite handsomely on total space. I don't need as much room though and the Vitara is a quite funky looking alternative that costs £2k less, so for me it's perfect. The full LED headlights will need evaluating as the salesman's patter was a little confusing. I suspect they wont be quite as bright as the Xenons on the Cross SZ5. The other odd thing of note is, all the reviews I have read say the petrol will be a conventional 6 speed auto not the CVT. Whereas the Diesel with be a semi auto/DSG style gbox.

I'd be happy with the Cross though and even wondered if, as the Cross had been out longer, there might be a better deal to be had that would make the Cross work out the same or cheaper on a PCP. Alas not on that occasion. I do like the fact that the car feels light. not in a tinny way, but in an effervescent manner. The doors are quite light mind :D

The 1.6 petro Vitara is the 120ps engine and seems to be 99% the same as the Cross.

The space saver was rumoured to be around £300 with kit. I laughed and the dealer said they hadn't finalised the pricing of it, but it was such an audacious price he mentioned I think there must be an expensive grain of truth to it.

The Vitara is a little bit higher up, but definitely not as high as my Grand Vitara. I guess the Yeti is very slightly higher again the Vitara, although again, not the Grand Vitara. it doesn't feel particular compact when you are driving it as it is a tad wider and higher than the Cross, but I think you will notice the boot difference. Also when you pop the seats down, the Cross wins quite handsomely on total space. I don't need as much room though and the Vitara is a quite funky looking alternative that costs £2k less, so for me it's perfect. The full LED headlights will need evaluating as the salesman's patter was a little confusing. I suspect they wont be quite as bright as the Xenons on the Cross SZ5. The other odd thing of note is, all the reviews I have read say the petrol will be a conventional 6 speed auto not the CVT. Whereas the Diesel with be a semi auto/DSG style gbox.

I'd be happy with the Cross though and even wondered if, as the Cross had been out longer, there might be a better deal to be had that would make the Cross work out the same or cheaper on a PCP. Alas not on that occasion. I do like the fact that the car feels light. not in a tinny way, but in an effervescent manner. The doors are quite light mind :D

Thanks Amanda :happy:  It will be interesting to see how it feels when I take a look. Having sat in a Yeti again the other day I do miss that VAG solid feel though. Having said that my S Cross feels solid enough, just not in a special way.

My understanding is that the auto in the new Vitara will be a conventional 6 speed auto, albeit a very efficient one. I was not aware of a DSG style option.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the new Vitara. Hope it all goes well.

Thanks Amanda :happy:  It will be interesting to see how it feels when I take a look. Having sat in a Yeti again the other day I do miss that VAG solid feel though. Having said that my S Cross feels solid enough, just not in a special way.

My understanding is that the auto in the new Vitara will be a conventional 6 speed auto, albeit a very efficient one. I was not aware of a DSG style option.

I look forward to reading about your experiences with the new Vitara. Hope it all goes well.

The Vitara isn't as solid as the Yeti, but the payoff is handling and economy :) DSG style is Diesel only and I don't know if it has anything to do with FIAT? The SAT NAV seems better integrated and snappier in operation, although again, I hear that the Cross is getting the same screen and software in a minor cabin update later this year. An odd/good? thing is that in the right colour, there is definitely more than just a little bit of Evoque about the front styling.

At a Launch Day i drove a 1.4 Multiair Limited 9 Speed Auto 170 ps 4wd.

It maybe limited in availability, but ask a Jeep Dealer.

Thanks for that - so there are 2 potential Yeti replacements to check out!

• Like 1

It's arriving while I am at work in about 2 weeks apparently, so in theory I will pick it up in May, then park it up for a week while I go on more work :( I went for the Met Grey and got the Rugged pack thrown in even though I don't technically qualify for this freebie. I spent 3.5 hours haggling to get the price I wanted, the last half an hour was to reduce payment by roughly £7.50 a month  :D In the end I went nearly £2.50 over budget, but got the rugged pack, so I was happy. Not that I have seen the pack as the dealer hasn't fitted it yet to their showroom car.

Sorry, bit confused.

Are you getting 4X4 or 4X2 or does the rugged pack mean a 4X4?

Sorry, bit confused.

Are you getting 4X4 or 4X2 or does the rugged pack mean a 4X4?

The rugged pack is purely cosmetic. Some lower door protection black flashing, front and rear skid plates, except they aren't real skid plates as they are just plastic I think, but might be useful in keeping sand out of the underside of the engine and hard frozen snow from catching on stuff? There is something else as well but it's not important. After the initial launch it's £500 and I wouldn't bother if I had to pay for it out of my own pocket, so to speak. But getting the Rugged pack free, lifts the GFV so makes the car cheaper on a PCP by nearly £10 a month. Definitely worth it from that point of view :)

Edit: rugged also adds edge protection on loading area

I'm getting 4x4 Allgrip.

Edited by Lady Elanore

Interesting to note that the manual gear lever has a counterweight which is really thoughtful and makes it desirable to me.

I did not know that. Where did you find this nugget? :)

hang on think I found it here

Edited by Lady Elanore

One other thing, the Diesel allgrip fuel tank isn't very big (47litres I think) although with the projected economy that shouldn't be a problem. Even the 4x4 diesel is only around 1,300kg and the petrol 2x4 is just over a tonne. The emissions are astonishing for the shape. lightness is a good thing for most scenarios :)

I wonder what the CD (coefficient of drag) is....the Yeti is quite ordinary.

If they had a petrol version as good as the Peugeot's latest engines I'd be tempted to go for that. Peugeot diesels are not euro 6 compliant yet, is the new Vitata's?

I wonder what the CD (coefficient of drag) is....the Yeti is quite ordinary.

If they had a petrol version as good as the Peugeot's latest engines I'd be tempted to go for that. Peugeot diesels are not euro 6 compliant yet, is the new Vitata's?

I think the Vitara USP is it's very low weight. plus although it has good ground clearance (better than the Yeti apparently) it doesn't have a particular high roof line for a SUV. I think this means it is a thin sandwich of a car that rides quite high, a bit like an Evoque in fact. I'm told by Freelander owners, that the Evoque isn't as high as the Freelander and yet it has better ground clearance.

One thing I did get a bit play with was the Sat Nav and although I hate with a passion, touch screens in a car (who thought that was ever a good idea?)  it seems quite a bit more responsive than the Cross version. Even though I had never used it before, I found it fairly intuitive and could work it straight out of the box so to speak. Bluetooth and other features I can't comment on though.

From what I have read, companies like BMW say they will have to go with touch screens as it is the trend, but they hate them too and are looking for a compromise and a better way to make them work. Bouncing around in a car makes touch tricky and I hate smeary, dirty or greasy fingers on a screen and if you have long nails they are a nightmare and can be rendered useless. At least in Britain guitar players will probably only have nails on their right hand which is the none touch screen hand :) I thought that one through quite well I reckon :D

I think the Vitara USP is it's very low weight. plus although it has good ground clearance (better than the Yeti apparently) it doesn't have a particular high roof line for a SUV. I think this means it is a thin sandwich of a car that rides quite high, a bit like an Evoque in fact. I'm told by Freelander owners, that the Evoque isn't as high as the Freelander and yet it has better ground clearance.

Evoque is too la-de-dah for me and scratches don't suite it.

Is the diesel version euro 6 compliant?

Evoque is too la-de-dah for me and scratches don't suite it.

Is the diesel version euro 6 compliant?

oh yes :) It's a proper up to date modern little SUV. Not a baby Yeti, but an honest little Suzuki SUV. It's ground clearance and departure angle are similar to the proper off roader Grand Vitara, although the approach angle is about 10 degrees less :(

If you can imagine the jimny re-invented for 2015, it would be twice as big, half as rugged, quite cute and brillirant value for money with decent 4x4 credentials if you require that. That's the Vitara 

Edit: added new info

Edited by Lady Elanore

I'm actually more into the more simple and ruggedly reliable type of vehicle rather than the deskilling that is the way things are going let alone social media distractions etc.

I'm actually more into the more simple and ruggedly reliable type of vehicle rather than the deskilling that is the way things are going let alone social media distractions etc.

Would you like to buy my outgoing 3dr grand Vitara? very simple and a proper off roader . It even has a low ratio box :)