Am i just being stupid?

Couple of things....

1. How do you open the bulb holder in the boot and glovebox? Cant work it out.

2. My rear lights seem to wobble, only noticed today but not sure if they have a bit of wobble naturally but it definately seems like its not meant to be like that. Gonna nip it into dealer probably as long as they dnt charge me.

I read the title and was just gonna say yes for fun, but nah your not haha. Took me ages to figure it out tbh.

1. You just prise it gently from the left in the glove box (i think) and top in the boot. It should just pop out. The only reason you cant do the other side is because of the plug on it.

2. I havent changed a rear bulb yet, but on the polo i used to drive it had a plastic nut on the inside holding it in. If this was loose it could wobble. I havent looled what its like on the fabia though, might be different.

Are you planning on changing the bulbs in the glovebox and boot to led ones? Youll see when you take it out, not all led bulbs will fit due to the bulb holder type

Thanks, got the holder out but its the casing i cant actually open... its really confusing me! Cant even see anything at all that would open it!!! Cant check if the bulbs fit until i can get the damn thing open! Yeah theres a screw in boot behind light but it seems as tight as poss, and also dont know what im supposed to try tighten it with cos it aint a normal screwdriver or whatever

The rear cluster does have a bit of a wobble to it. :(

The bout light is a b1tch to pop out and an absolute nightmare to open. I get the impression is intended to be replaced as a unit.

As above just prise the metal housing out wards and then slide off. Also as above have a spare fuse handy I blew mine too.......twice if truth be told!

If replacing with LED remember that they are polarity sensitive. Also, to get the best out of a bad light use a bulb that has a few LED chips on it, pointing different ways. Then when you realise the light in there is still worse than a black hole you can run some LED strips off the unit and mount them either side of the boot.

:D

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The rear cluster does have a bit of a wobble to it. :(

The bout light is a b1tch to pop out and an absolute nightmare to open. I get the impression is intended to be replaced as a unit.

As above just prise the metal housing out wards and then slide off. Also as above have a spare fuse handy I blew mine too.......twice if truth be told!

If replacing with LED remember that they are polarity sensitive. Also, to get the best out of a bad light use a bulb that has a few LED chips on it, pointing different ways. Then when you realise the light in there is still worse than a black hole you can run some LED strips off the unit and mount them either side of the boot.

:D

Yep, it's not designed for easy replacement is it? ;)

I ordered one of these for the boot as I hoped it would fire out more light in a sideways direction:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00AOCV2M4/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1&tag=fczbkkcom04-21

Unfortunately it was too long to fit in the bulb holder, oh well...

Having already blew a fuse fitting a new boot lamp bulb I would suggest taking out the relevant fuse first before you fit a new bulb.

That way you won't be left without any lights then once you've fitted the bulb you can refit the fuse back in.

I didn't have any spare fuses with it being the mini type so I took the one out that covered the electric mirrors to use until I could get some replacements.

Or better still, get some spares before you go about replacing bulbs etc, got a pack of ten various mini ones off FleaBay for under £2 so I've always got some at hand now.

Or better still, get some spares before you go about replacing bulbs etc, got a pack of ten various mini ones off FleaBay for under £2 so I've always got some at hand now.

Taking the fuse out is an option but I would go for leaving it in and having spares.

Also worth keeping in mind that after 5 or so mins the power to the boot light goes off until you close and open the door again, I didn't realise this when I was fitting my LED strips and thought the fuse had gone.....no, then I thought I had the polarity wrong......no, then for some reason it crossed my mind to shut the door and open it again and everything worked....something to be aware of.

I didn't have any spare fuses with it being the mini type so I took the one out that covered the electric mirrors to use until I could get some replacements..

Exactly what i did to get home from the petrol station as they didnt have any of the mini type fuses. Only it was raining, and the electric mirror fuse also does the window wipers.

I couldnt believe my luck, but it does.

For the boot light, how many of you remember the so called golden rule of working on electrical systems?  DISCONNECT THE BATTERY'S EARTH LEAD! 

The rear light, however, can be made easier to unscrew by using a coin as a screwdriver. There is a slot just for this, on the face of the big headed nut! When you re-tighten, gently press the light cluster to the bodywork, assuring it is correctly lighted up, and tighten fairly well but take care not to over tighten and damage either the cluster or the thread of the nut. This may help prevent "Wobble" and will also help prevent water ingress, which causes the "Funny light-show" you see on many Ford's, Peugeots, etc, as they signal and brake at the same time!

Edited by mrgf
  • Like 1