New MkIII 150 CR: FWD or 4x4?

^^ this

tbh the the double wishbone rear suspension is more important than the 4x4 system

Torsion beam systems really are cheap and nasty, effectively a 'live' rear axle - whereby lifting effects to one wheel are transmitted across the axle de-stabilising the whole vehicle

The suspension system on the 4x4 is a **** hot system, up there with what you'll find on the rear end of an evo 9 or later

Sorry but this is bigging up the multi link rear end a little to much methinks. Yes its better overall from a handling perspective and I wouldnt argue that but an Octavia; even a vRS isnt the most dynamic car in the world and wasnt designed to be thrown around like a rally car.....in most real world fast road conditions I bet most would be quite hard pushed to really tell the difference....until you put it on a track but even then id suggest a torsion beam variant wouldnt really have the power to really show itself up too much.

The car I drove with standard suspension and 16" wheels whilst perhaps not quite as chuckable as my multilink rear ended Mk2 vRS overall drove better and wasnt masses between the two in terms of body roll, understeer and road adhesion, the tyres clearly giving up grip before the suspension caused any tracton problems.

Less weight, better efficiency and more go with a slight detriment to overall handling but I guess horses for courses is the appropriate view.

The advantages of IRS come to light more on an undulating cambered rural road, rather than a smooth cambered track

If the OP where to be spending a significant proportion of their time on twisty rural A and B roads then the advantage of a diesel 4x4 match the better mpg of the diesel 2wds', imho

The 4x4 can maintained a higher safe stable speed then the 2wd cars

If the uprate the vehicle, this is clearer as you uprate further

Off the line a manual 4x4 is faster than the manual FWD with equivocal engine.  It just grips and goes.

Cornering is determined by tyre choice more than how many wheels are being driven unless it is a very sophisticated true 4WD setup and not the 2WD max which the haldex gives you (If one wheel on each axle slips then you only get 2WD drive - Compared to 1WD on a 'normal' car).

Farmers and murders who love journeying down forest tracks will enjoy the extra traction on muddy, slippy roads and for the 2 days a year we get proper bad weather here in Blighty you will have a sense of better security.

Got to set a few things straight from some of the above posts...

A Mondeo ST out corners a BMW 320 any day of the week in any weather (Tyres dependant), If 4WD was so much better than 2WD for cornering speeds then all Formula 1 cars would use it... it just isn't.

The multi link rear suspension isn't 100Kg extra, it's about 15Kg heavier but does increase cornering feel massively, a 2.0 TDI elegance is truly numb in corners, A Golf GT or Leon FR (Both 150 Engines) feel much much better.

If you want 4WD then go get one but don't imagine for a second that when the white stuff comes that every 2WD car is useless..... it also doesn't affect braking... as stated previously no matter how many wheel drive you have if the wheels are on ice and you slide you slide, end of.

If 4WD was so much better than 2WD for cornering speeds then all Formula 1 cars would use it... it just isn't.

The regulations of Formula 1 don't allow 4wd making this a poor example.  While we can only speculate on the mid-corner speed of an Formula 1 car with 4wd the ability to accelerate out of the corner may be improved.    The last time a 2wd car won a World Rally Round was 1999, mainly because they were lighter and it was dry, since then 4wd has been faster on all surfaces.

But back on topic...  does Haldex not provide any 'lock up' during braking to aid stability or is this also the preserve of more complicated 4WD setups?

• Like 1

Just to clear some bits,

I'm a rather old briskodian, just back to this forum thanks to a nice experience with my PD170.

I happily drove in the snow with my PD170 when most of cars were stuck, on my summer tires.

And with Goodyear Eagle F1 asym, traction was very good. It improved installing WALK (anyway the car lifted when stomping) and stiffer RARB, greatly helping cornering.

But, then I drove a 320d estate and I found myself much quicker and safer (I mean, the car followed my will) in the same corners, known by memory.

So it's not a RWD, of course, but was wondering if the 4WD was a better performer than FWD.

Thank you.