Fabian Elegance - suspension

Gonzo52

Hi everyone

We're close to making a decision on which Fabia to buy. We'll be using our new car as a runabout, plus frequent motorway trips to visit our family. We has almost settled on the hatchback, then we saw an estate in the showroom, and SWMBO started muttering about extra space. So, she needs to decide on whether she wants an estate after all..... Decisions, decisions.

We've been torn between a Monte Carlo (sporty looks) or an Elegance (more toys). We've driven the Monte Carlo, which was fine. Either way, we want the 105 TSI engine - it's good! We want to add a couple of other bits and pieces, so it'll be a factory order.

So, if we go for the Elegance, is it worth ordering the sports suspension?

Thanks for your help.

Les

Hello,

I've a Fabia Elegance with the 105 TSi.  I've never found the lack of sports suspension an issue and looking at the state of the roads at the moment I'd steer away from it!

I had a Golf GTi a few years back with sports suspension and it was way too hard for UK roads with all their pits and crevices.

Are you going manual or DSG?  This is my first DSG car and I'm a convert.

Thanks for your replies.

Dynamodollishill - thanks for your suspension advice. iIt will be a manual gearbox. I'm too much of a Luddite to want to try an auto or DSG as yet. But you never know - maybe when I'm older!

Curleybar - we've done shortish test drives of both the hatchback and estate. We drove the hatchback mainly on country roads and it was fine. We then tried the estate on the motorway to see how it coped with acceleration up the slip roads and overtaking at motorway speeds, etc. But, as for handling .... Hmmm. What was your experience with the estate? I know that the estate has a long rear overhang. I'm not sure about how the handling will be affected when it's fully loaded. Maybe we need another test drive to throw it around a little more. I'd welcome your comments.

Les

Hi my fabia elegance has sports suspension fitted. It sits 15mm lower so looks a little better and is only slighty firmer.When I got the car there was a noticeable differance in handling to compared to my old fabia .My car has quite a few extras fitted , what are you thinking of adding to your car?

Hi Race Blue

The Elegance is very well equipped, so I'm proposing to limit the extras to:

Elba alloys;

Rear electric windows;

Storage boxes under the seats;

Bodyside mouldings;

Space-saver spare wheel;

- all of which may be very unglamorous, boring even, but practical.

I'm not bothered about changing the radio/Cd for a Sat Nav unit, bearing in mind the cost, plus we already have a portable Mio with 5" display, which we (rarely) use in our campervan, and we can use this in the Fabia.

So, I may possibly order the sports suspension.

Tomorrow may be Decision Day.

Les

All good extras , I have ELBA alloys think they look good. Have to say I love my heated seats , and the bluetooth is great, if a little expensive when you add in steering wheel controls aswell.What colour you getting?

That decision is with SWMBO. we're planning on a solid colour (too mean to pay £500 for metallic paint - spend it on extras instead!). I fancy a Candy White one, with Corrida Red as a second choice, but she is thinking about Corrida Red or Pacific Blue. I suspect it will be red!

Les

I cant complain about how my se handles really. With vrs steering, i think it responds really well when i chuck it into a corner, and doesn't roll too much either. Yours might be abit better still because of slightly lower profile tyres

I do wish id got that sports suspension for £105, just because it would be better still, but i dont feel it needs it

Guys

Thanks for your replies and advice. I've now ordered my new Fabia Elegance Estate with a 105 PS 1.2 TSI engine. Colour is Corrida Red, and it will have the following extras/options:

Elba alloys,

Sports suspension,

Electric rear windows,

Storage boxes under the seats,

Black protective body side mouldings.

Although I'm relatively old and slow compared with most of the membership of this forum, I'm looking forward to driving it and making the most of that engine. And I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities to add extras .... Can't wait to take delivery of my new toy!

Les

Hi David

Apologies for the delay in replying. I was initially quoted 17 weeks for delivery, but when I confirmed my order, the dealer advised me that it may be 12 weeks - much better. I was promised regular updates, so will post when I know more, and will post a picture.

Les