The top of the gearknob fell apart today.

I was driving along earlier and the part of the gearknob that displays the gear layout just came off in my hand. On close inspection it looks to have been snapped off in the past and glued back into place. 

Now bearing in mind that we've had this car since brand new, and it's only ever been serviced at the supplying dealer, would it be unreasonable to make them replace it? I have a suspicion that they damaged it when it was in for a fault where it stopped selecting reverse gear.

Also, the badges are all de-laminating, I notice that some people have had these replaced under warranty?

How old is the car? since its always been serviced at the dealers i,d take it back its all coverd by your warranty.

If they were to say that the gearknob was wear and tear explain to them it was in for a reverse gear fix and it must have been damaged then. Defo take it back good luck.

Is this the 1.6 TDI?

Not unreasonable to ask, thats if it is still under warranty.

(If not, The Dealer might want to pay them self if you ask if they had glued it on when they were working on the car.)

Badges are another item that Skoda will replace under Warranty,

The Dealer just checks them and makes a Warranty Claim.

george

Yeah it's the 1.6 TDI one George. It's just under 2 years old, so still well in it's warranty period. 

It's booked in on Monday for them to have an extended look at the fuel economy and running issues, so I'll make sure they get it sorted then. 

Apparently there's also a service bulletin of some description regarding replacement of a part of the wiring loom to do with the coolant? My partner spoke to them so I don't have the full details.