Heated Wing Mirror Not de-misting

Hi there,

I am finding that my Near-side win mirror does not demist like the Off-side no matter how long its left. Are there any common faults that could cause this?

I plan on cleaning up the contacts later but is there anything i need to know to remove the mirror from the back plate i.e adhesive tape/ clips? 

Cheers for the help

Neither of mine seem to work and i'm beginning to wonder if the rear windscreen heater has to be on at the same time for these to work ?

No, the controls are entirely independent in mine, though they never really seemed that great, compared to our other car, where the mirrors steam visibly.

• Like 1

My mirrors are definitely independent of the rear screen. The driver de-mists really quickly, perhaps due to double the current in the coil? Does anyone know the best way to remove the mirror to take a look without breaking any clips? 

• Like 1

Turn it all the way in, then you should be able to get your fingers behind the glass to prise off the 2 clips on that side and it should lift out. The wires are connected on the side closest to the car too, so you shouldn't pull them this way.

Like Kbphoto mine was due to glass coming away from back plate. Gently prised it off used Aryldite to glue it back on put some grease on the contact put it back together and now works perfectly.

Just for future reference, It turns out it wasn't an OEM glass. Where as the OEM uses the prongs that clip the mirror into the backing to conduct current into the element, my one just had plastic prongs. All I had to do was remove the two spade connectors in the mirror unit and plug them into the bare connectors on the back of the aftermarket glass.

Looks like the aftermarket ones just use a generic element that has male spade terminal coming off the glass. No biggie but makes you wonder why whoever fitted it didn't take the 2 seconds to plug it in :think: 

Thanks for the advice guys.