Large puddle in passenger footwell - can't find entry point (neither can the garage)

Opened up the drivers side passenger seat a few weeks back to find that the footwell was soaking wet (been wondering if I had a leak as the windows mist up sometimes but hadn't found anything). It wasn't just wet - I park on a hill facing upwards and there was a pool of water there. The carpet under the steering wheel seems a little damp - but that could be from the water spreading though the carpet when I park on a flat road at work.

Took it to the local Skoda dealer - they said that the door membrane on the rear door was letting water in - they replaced that and I thought that was that. Next time it rained - same problem. Took it back. They said that their tests definately showed it coming though the door. They now think the seal around the door frame is the issue (after subjecting it to a water test).

I'm not sure. The plastic fascias around both front and rear doors are bone dry as are the seals. If it is leaking around the seals, wouldn't the plastic be wet?

I've looked at previous threads. The scuttle bay looks clear from what I can see - I had a feel around the carpet under the dashboard/pedals and it appears to be dry. I've not driven in the wet.

Any ideas? I'm almost at my wits end. It rained all night last night - and it was worse than ever this morning.

You need to get the scuttle covers off to check, you can't really see where the crap builds up with them on.

With a door seal, get some chalk, rub it on some sand paper to get a powder then rub that on the door seals you think are leaking (do it when dry), make sure it's right round the seal. Once it's on then close the door (again make sure the sill is dry). Then pour water onto the door around the seal. GIve it a minute to work around and then open the door and check the chalk- it will show you where or if there's any leaks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated. I'll do the chalk think tonight - good idea.

I did think of taking the scuttle panels off - it doesn't look that easy (plus I've seen the warnings that they are easily broken). The pollen filter is on the right/passenger side I think (and that side of the car is bone dry).

If it is getting in through the scuttle bay area, would I be able to find evidence under the dashboard?

Edit: Not that it probably matters, this is an estate, no sunroof but has aircon

Edited by movaado

Taking off the scuttle covers is a bit awkward but as long you pull the right way it's fine. Need a 13 mm socket to get the wiper arms off first. It seriously worth checking though, mine was so bad the leaves had actually turned to soil in the scuttle and was surprised a small plant hadn't started growing. Once over you just get your finger in there and scoop out the rubbish, feel for the drain hole and either push the crap into it and out or use a plastic spatula or something to pull it out. Then pour loads of water through the scuttle to flush the rubbish out- you will see the water flow out by the wheel when it's draining properly again.

Thanks again. I've read the various topics on removing the scuttle covers, still not 100% sure about (me) doing it.

So I gently lever it up using a blunt instrument and/or fingers by lifting it up between the scuttle cover and windscreen (after removing the rubber strip and wiper arms)?

How easy is it to put it back? Does it just clip back into place?

It's fiddly, use some blunt to start it off, after that you;re pulling pulling outwards and upwards, just do it slowly and carefully- there isn't really any trick to doing it, just a bit of patience

This may help you understand what to do better - dont worry the sound does not appear to work on the vid

Did this the other week.Just a warning the scuttle cover on my vrs didn't come off as easy it did on the video.

You can check the scuttle drain hole without taking the cover off. Take torch or leadlight and look between the scuttle edge and wing.There is just enough space to see if the drain hole is blocked. You can scrape out the gunge and very gently push a length of wire or thin plastic pipe down the drain hole to clear. Then pour water in with a jug or similar and check drainage at the bottom of the wheel arch. This is only a check not the solution. You will still have to remove the cover to do a proper clean out but at least you will know if it is blocked to begin with. Good luck.

Just reading back over your posts and where you think bits are in relation to the car, i am taking it that this is a rhd vehicle?, as you say the area by the pollen filter is dry, but this is on the passenger side. Do you mean this or the drivers or right hand side is wet?.

Still needs the drivers scuttle cleaning (but clean and check both), that way the scuttle can be ironed out as the source of any of leaks. Like Phil also said, heat the plastic, in cold weather it'll become awfully brittle. Probably best off with some warm water- not hot. just warm and pour right over the plastics and get as much as you can over the top bits that actually clipped in. You can also get a set of cheap plastic trim tools off fleabay. Dead cheap, obviously plastic so won;t be marking anything and may give you a bit more confidence popping it out

I looked at the scuttle drains this morning. They seem to be ok. There is a little bit in there but I don't think its enough - the drain holes appear clear and water flows down fine. I guess it could do with cleaning but the drain hole would surely have to be plugged for the amount of water getting in. This is the drivers side one:

drain.jpg

If there's plenty of water flowing they should be good but give em a good old clean- we t leaves do nothing for metal and they will start to smell after a while.

NExt one is the chalk test on the seal to make sure that's fine

Has anybody drilled a hole in the main cable housing above the fusebox to bring extra cables into the car without sealing it at all?. There is a square housing to bring the main wiring into the car above the pedals in the scuttle gulley where you have taken photos, I'd check this first as they have been known to leak.

If you look in post number 2, 3rd picture down, that is the box I'm talking about - 1 word of caution, those plastic nuts are very delicate, treat em gentle.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/223636-how-to-diy-guide-for-fitting-cruise-control/

Sorry to nick your thread Bowders, but you do take cool pictures of stuff.

If you drop the cover over the pedals down, you can see up to that cover with a torch, if you get someone to pour some water on the screen/scuttle in that area, you can see if it leaks.

I'll definately take a look. I did put my hand up there to see if there was any water there earlier - seemed nice and dry.

I was looking at the carpet earlier. The area that seems wettest is around the drivers seat mount/rail nearest the door, just near the driver's seat belt mount. All I can think of is, assuming the water is coming from the engine bay, is that the water is running down (as I park at night on a steep hill) the channel under the bonnet release catch/under the door frame and coming out to the middle of the vehicle under the seat. I'm going to take the panel below the bonnet release catch later off later to see if there is any damp there.

Again - thanks all for the help so far.

Are the door drain holes clear = easy to check, just get a medium zip tie and gently move it around in the slots. It is not beyond the realms of possibility that the corner of the door is filling and breaching the door membrane, thereby filling the footwell.

When they checked the car for water leaks, did they try to reproduce the slope by jacking the front of the car do you know?.

I think the doors are ok - the bottoms were clean and dry this morning. The door frames were also dry - I'll put chalk dust around them as suggested above later just to be sure as well as sticking a cable tie in the drain holes to be thorough.

There is always the horrible bonnet release cable grommet.It lurks in the scuttle directly above the drivers footwell and could quite easily be leaking.Not sure how to test it but pouring water on it and then checking behind the pedals might be an idea.