Fabia Estate but which one?

TraceyC

I want to trade in my Fabia 1.2 hatchback for an estate version with good fuel economy can anyone recommend a model? Also does anyone have a Scout estate and if so please share your thoughts. Thanks

Edited by TraceyC

Well, having driven estates with both the 1.2TSI and 1.6TDI CR, I can say that they both pull the car the same and the answer would really lie in how many miles you were doing. Anything above 13k+ (ish) annually would prompt a diesel buy, anything below and the petrol is cheaper to run as it returns similar MPG for a smaller initial outlay.

Spec wise? Up to you. If you were looking new then maybe look for some pre-reg Monte Carlos as they are going fast and really look great IMHO, have a look on the interweb and see what you can find :)

Not driven or been in a scout but have seen one up close and to me it looks cool!

As above. Depends on mileage you do as whether you opt for the tdi or tsi.

Then it depends on what goodies you want as to what spec level you buy.

I think the offer is still on the estate 1.2 tsi 86 SE for £9995 (if i remember correctly?). Maybe worth a look?

The £9995 offer for 1.2tsi se spec estate is the only fabia estate that makes sense considering that will set the bar (low) for early depreciation. All other fabia estates are much more expensive, and you will lose much more money, much more quickly.

Current fabia ceases production at the end of July, and the new fabia will be in showrooms Jan/Feb next year. At that point all fabia mk2 values will tumble - they are tumbling now.

Getting 48 mpg average on our 1.2tsi limited edition estate mainly long runs motorway legal max speed ..... Car done 3800 miles so not yet fully run in. 

Edited by xman

I think the se spec is more than enough for most people. Alot comfier than the montes, they drive nice. You get some little goodies like alloy wheels, body coloured door handles etc.

I think the 86 will be enough for most too, could always get it remapped at a later date though if you felt the need for more

I've got a scout - 2011 1.6 - it's the low hp model (75 I think).  I paid £7500 for it last July (2013) with 32k on the clock from Capitol Skoda in Newport - It does have some scuffs to the rear trim and the alloys are all kerbed (hence the price).

It's been great - I love the arm rest (I do a lot of motorway driving and find that my back aches less with both elbows down - I'm 6ft 4 and my old astra wasn't nice after a few hours) and the reversing sensors are useful too.  When I was looking I found that the scout spec seem fairly random on equipment - mine has leather steering wheel, MP3 input, bluetooth for my mobile (which seems to work well), cruise control... 

Ride wise it's fine - I'm not hugely fussy though and don't drive hard.  Under warranty I've had the MAF sensor, exhaust temp sensor, water pump and software changed - am up to 45k now after 7 months of driving and normally get 55mpg  approx (calculated myself, not using the car as it's way off).

I have a beagle sized dog so have a guard added to the back - there wouldn't be much room for anything bigger in there really, coming from a mk4 astra estate the boot seems small but works for me.  My parents can fit in the rear seats pretty easily and there is just about enough room for long journeys.

to be honest I wouldn't have gone for the scout if it wasn't as cheap as it was as I was on a fairly restricted budget - I am enjoying the car though as it suits my needs and is easy to self service (which I'll be doing after the warranty is out) - am loving the mpg returns (although it's no where near the 67mpg book figure) and the £20 road tax.

Hope that helps...

• Like 2

Nice Post,

but your Warranty Items really are the type of thing buyers need to be aware of.

So was it first a Coolant leak, or various issues that lead to each item or visit to the Workshop. 

It is a frightening list of failures on such a still low mileage car.

But all faults that can be too common with VAG engines IMO.

Nice Post,

but your Warranty Items really are the type of thing buyers need to be aware of.

So was it first a Coolant leak, or various issues that lead to each item or visit to the Workshop. 

It is a frightening list of failures on such a still low mileage car.

But all faults that can be too common with VAG engines IMO.

I had slight coolant loss - had a dealer check it as it shouldn't loose any, this was at around 42k - they diagnosed water pump instantly (sounds as though this may be a common one to go).  My dad had similar issues on a mondeo (2001) when he had it from new.  Skoda have been very approachable about the problems and have sorted them promptly - we found Ford at the time were less keen to help.

The Scout is the best looking mk2 Fabia IMO.

That's what I'd get. :) (oh wait, we did... :giggle:  )

Bonus is you don't have to worry about scratching the rear bumper loading stuff as it's not painted.

They are rare too.

Here is our (very) well specced 1.2 tsi.

xl7t.jpg

3pz9.jpg

Having said that though the special £9,990 estates with the 1.2tsi are an absolute bargain for a new car with a bit of loadspace.

That's where the smart money is if you can find one unsold.

(We got a blue one and it's not as nice, but better value than the Scout)

• Like 2

Hi thank you everyone for your comments it's been fascinating hearing opinions - ok I've seen a Fabia Scout estate 2010 - very nice but it's 1.6 and a diesel ? I've only ever had 1.2 petrol engines -could this get expensive , also I've read that diesels not good for urban driving ie day to day short journeys - filters clog? Noisy? what do you think? Does anyone have that experience? Don't want to end up paying more for fuel, I'm sure I can handle its torque so extra power doesn't bother me, just don't want to end up paying more in long run. Nice Pics of your Scout Richard!

Edited by TraceyC

If you only do urban driving a diesel is not ideal.

They have a DPF (diesel particulate filter) which fills up with soot and needs to get hot to burn it off.

Depending on your milage I'd look for the 1.2tsi.

Yes, it's less economical, but it's better suited to town work and it's quieter and more refined.

The diesel only makes sense to me if you are doing longer runs or lots of miles.

So it's worth putting up with it's lack of refinement over the petrol to gain the better MPG.

• Like 1

Yeah. Diesels have a particulate filter these days, if your doing repeated short journeys they dont get hot enough to burn off the carbon deposits, so they block up. If they block and cant regenerate themselves they get very pricey (£1500 on my dads vw transporter when he asked).

This is why diesels arent recommended by many unless you regularly drive over 20 miles (any short than that and it wont get up to temp). They are more economical than petrols, but diesel is more expensive to buy of course.

They are more torquey, yes, but you wouldnt struggle to handle it. Its still only a 1.6 so dont expect masses of torque steer.

Id recommend a test drive in a 1.2 tsi engine. Theyre a little 1.2 petrol with a turbo on, they pull nice and cleanly all the way through the revs and are much more fun to drive than a diesel (as is any petrol i think) plus of course, no particulate filter (dpf) to worry about

Out of interest have you considered a Rapid?

If you are considering new there are some very good offers on them and they are like a Fabia inside, only a bit more modern.

Although it's a hatch the non-spaceback has a massive boot too!