Whining sound

Hi

I have a superb 1.9tdi greenline from 2010. It has this whining sound from around 80 - 100 km/t

If i drive 100 km/t and Press the clutch Down and place the gearbox in idle and let it drop to 80 km/t i dont have any whine... But if i let it stay in 5. Gear and let it drop from 100 - 80 km/t the Sound is also there.

It shifts very nicely and has no other funny noises.

Could it be the turbo ?

The sound is VERY low. You have to turn Down radio and be quite to hear it.

The car has driven 98xxx km

And i have just changed the gear Oil

Any inputs ?

This sounds like a gearbox issue -

"If i drive 100 km/t and Press the clutch Down and place the gearbox in idle and let it drop to 80 km/t i dont have any whine" - no pressure on the gears/bearings

"But if i let it stay in 5. Gear and let it drop from 100 - 80 km/t the Sound is also there." - gears/bearings under some pressure

Possibilities -

Wrong oil

Dying gearbox - why did you change the oil ?

I changed the Oil to get rid of the sound... But it hasen't changed a bit.

The Oil is Castrol Syntrans Transaxle 75W-90

It could not be the turbo ?

The sound is very low

I also hear the sound around 60 km/t in 3. Gear but only at 60 km/t 5 km/t faster at the sound is gone

Turbo's usually make high pitched noises and at certain revs not speeds

If the noise ALWAYS goes away when freewheeling - I would think it is a gearbox issue

Try free wheeling with different revs - see what the normal revs are at "100 - 80 km/t" and freewheel with those revs

If i drive 120 km/t and let i be i 5. Gear and let it drop to 98 km/t there is no whining.

Only when it hits approx 98 km/t and then from 98km/t to 80 km/t the sound is there. And the sound gets lower the closer it gets to 80.

The sound i Loudest around 95 km/t

The sound follows the rev but only in the 80 - 99

Km/t range both in 4. And 5. I can't hear it in 3. Gear maybe because of the engine noise

Edited by Steffan
  • Like 1

If it was a turbo issue - you could make the sound appear by just revving and then easing off the accelerator - AFAIK

I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm/refute my idea of a dying gearbox

Your gearbox would have left the factory with a 'fuel-saving' straight 75w oil, I believe.  The Skoda genuine oil is the same price as Castrol. It doesn't say what grade it is on the VW/Skoda packaging, but others have had it analysed at 75W.

Also, the filling procedure is odd for this gearbox. You drain all the oil out via the drain plug and one of the selector shaft bolts (!), (after you have locked the shift mechanism). You then fill as much of your required oil through the filler plug as you can, replace the plug, and put the rest through the reverse light switch hole.

The engine/box is tilted in this car (and the Octavia), and the correct oil level is above the level plug. I have confirmed this with a Skoda mechanic.

Worth doing a Google search for the oil swap.

Not that this is necessarily causing your problem noise though!

• 3 months later...

Hi, few month after remap ecu,I have noise like police siren from turbocharger.The car is Octavia II 1.9 TDI 77KW.I checked the turbo and there is no free play on shaft and no oil around the blades.The noise is only between 1500-2000 rpm.

Is it possible, that I have somewhere crack on pipe, maybe intercooler?

Here is video with that noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdviuWb7JV4

• 1 year later...

Hi

No it is still there :-) and i have driven aproxx 50000 km extra now.

And it has not got any worse... And i'm not going to do anything about it :-)

I also read somewhere that the greenline gearbox should have this Sound... But i cant find any confirmation regarding this.

Both on the Octavia and superb

Edited by Steffan